Open source for FE / Fluid Analysis?

In summary, the conversation is about the availability of open source options for FE/Fluid analysis, specifically for simulating icing and melting processes in an ice storage with different geometries. The person plans to use CREO student version for the geometry and is considering using Autodesk CFD, which is free for students and personal use. They also mention the possibility of using open source FEM tools such as FEniCS.
WIN
Hi! I'm would like to ask if there's any open source available for FE/Fluid analysis?

I'm planning to use it to simulate icing and melting process in a ice storage based on different geometry.Its something like a fridge with coolant ect. I would like to simulate the icing and melting process with the consideration on the different shape(where the icing occur) and in consideration of its coolant and energy needed. For the geometry/shape i would be able to use CREO student version to work with.

The best thing I can think of would be Autodesk CFD, which is free for students/personal use.

about:
http://www.autodesk.com/products/cfd/features/all/gallery-view

download: (need account)
http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/all

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is open source software for FE/Fluid Analysis?

Open source software for FE/Fluid Analysis is a type of software that is developed and distributed with its source code freely available for anyone to access, use, modify, and distribute. It allows for collaboration and customization by users, making it a popular choice for scientific research and engineering analysis.

2. How is open source software different from commercial software for FE/Fluid Analysis?

The main difference between open source software and commercial software for FE/Fluid Analysis is that open source software is free to use, modify, and distribute, while commercial software typically requires a license and often comes with additional features and technical support.

3. What are the benefits of using open source software for FE/Fluid Analysis?

There are several benefits to using open source software for FE/Fluid Analysis, including cost-effectiveness, flexibility, and transparency. Open source software also encourages collaboration and allows for customization to fit specific research needs.

4. Are there any risks associated with using open source software for FE/Fluid Analysis?

As with any software, there are some risks associated with using open source software for FE/Fluid Analysis. These may include potential compatibility issues, lack of technical support, and potential security vulnerabilities. However, these risks can be mitigated by choosing reputable and well-maintained open source software.

5. How can I contribute to the development of open source software for FE/Fluid Analysis?

There are several ways to contribute to the development of open source software for FE/Fluid Analysis, such as reporting bugs, suggesting new features, and even contributing code. Many open source projects have active communities and provide guidelines for contributors, so anyone can get involved and help improve the software.