1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open subspace of a compact space topological space

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    It is a fact that if X is a compact topoloical space then a closed subspace of X is compact.
    Is an open subspace G of X also compact?
    please consider the following and note if i am wrong;

proof: Since G is open then the relative topology on G is class {H_i}of open subset of X such that the union of all sets in this class is G. but X is compact and each H_i is the intersection of G with an open subset P_i of X for corresponding i. The result follows from the fact {p_i} has a finite subclass which contains X.
    hence every open subspace of a compact space is compact.

pls, am i right?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your proof is wrong, as you can have an open cover of G in the topology of X that doesn't cover X, and then when you reduce it to the induced topology on G it doesn't need to have a finite subcover.

Conclusion: All you did is prove that an open cover of a compact space is also an open cover of its subsets (not a very impressive result :p )

As a quick counterexample, see (0,1) contained in [0,1]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook