1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Open University - BSc Mathematics and Physics?

1. May 29, 2016 #1
    Good, bad or indifferent? Any ideas or suggestions?

Best,

Gimblestitch

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2016 #2
    I'm kind of in the same boat, kind of not. I don't believe getting a second degree in math is bad as long as it doesn't interfere with actually getting a degree in physics, or vice versa. In fact it might even be beneficial. As one of my graduate physics mentor stated: "You can never have too much math."

4. May 30, 2016 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Gimblestitch.

What exactly do you want to aim for regarding study and (possible) future endeavors?

5. May 30, 2016 #4
    I am interested in personal edification mostly.

6. May 30, 2016 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

That is something that Open University is good for. Some good objective programs are available through Open University systems but using such a method to earn a bachelor's degree is or seems unusual. More likely you could find a certificate program in some of these systems. You are more likely to find your undergraduate program in a regular university admission situation.

7. May 31, 2016 #6

chiro

Science Advisor

I think some good questions to ask would be what would motivate you to start and what would get in your way to not make you finish.

If you have a good idea of what makes you start and a good idea of what would prevent you from finishing then you will understand pretty well how likely you are to get through something.

8. Jun 2, 2016 #7
    You may as well go for an Open Degree. No need to restrict your choice of modules and as far as I can tell, the name of the degree makes no practical difference.

I would highly recommend the mathematics and physics modules at the Open University. I did my first degree there (BSc Open) and was subsequently accepted into (traditional) physics Masters programmes at top universities. I also know that I am not an exception.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  9. Nov 7, 2016 #8
    Independent, thanks for the great data point. Do you mind me asking what Universities accepted you as an Open University Graduate in Physics? Do you think there is any chance of being accepted directly into a PhD program?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted