Ophthalmic Migraine: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 27K views
Evo said:
I know that sounds weird.
Not really, given the source. :-p


Evo said:
Did you see the example I posted?
Yeah. I'm really amazed at all of the detail in that clock. I thought you meant something abstract. :biggrin:
 
Biology news on Phys.org
I get these frequently. I can remember seeing strange colours and apparent objects/shadows at least ten years ago (I'm 19 now). The migraines became really troublesome four or five years ago. When I had my first serious attack, I figured I was going blind or something and nearly panicked. :blushing:

The worst part is trying to get to sleep. They appear even when I close my eyes, and can be a horrible distraction (think screensaver).

But sometimes I don't see colours so much as a kind of blank grey patch. Sort of like when you focus at some object without blinking at length, and your peripheral vision gets fuzzy. These are worse because I won't know when they conceal parts of my view until I consciously have trouble seeing something in their field.

I'm also sensitive with retinal burns -- a glimpse of black text on white paper in medium light can leave an impression lasting a few seconds. I can't handle high-contrast at all. Checkerboard patterns are deadly.

In bright settings, I see strange objects like translucent cells or strands and darting pulses/dots, while in dark settings, it all gets grainy and I extrapolate false images from shadows. :bugeye:

I've managed to get a handle on things for the most part by now. I tend to get migraines (even the painful kind) when I'm fatigued or dehydrated, so I try to keep them in check. I expect I'll be consulting an eye doctor for the other problems not far in the future, though I've almost gotten used to them. :cool:
 
abhishek said:
In bright settings, I see strange objects like translucent cells or strands and darting pulses/dots
I had that one time.. I saw flies but everytime I would look at them they quickly darted away. It was confusing since the fly would disappear into nothing and I didn't know where it had gone :rolleyes:
 
Evo said:
My bags are packed! :-p I even bought new color coordinated support hose to match my bathing suit. :biggrin:
:smile: I see you got the message about what we will all be wearing. :smile: Oooops, um yes, with the Brazil cut, of course.
 
Monique said:
I had that one time.. I saw flies but everytime I would look at them they quickly darted away. It was confusing since the fly would disappear into nothing and I didn't know where it had gone :rolleyes:
I've only experienced this once during finals week when I had little to no sleep for about three days straight. This is why I asked about sleep deprivation, but I knew what I was seeing was hallucination.