Opinions on Evolving Ourselves By J. Enriquez and S. Gullans

• Thread starter ScientificMind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opinions
In summary, some may find the ideas presented in Evolving Ourselves to be controversial and not fully supported by the evidence. Jerry Coyne's review in The Washington Post highlights some of the flaws in the book and suggests approaching it with skepticism.
ScientificMind
I recently finished listening to the audio-book of Evolving Ourselves, and I really enjoyed it. I have, however, heard that some of what was in that book is somewhat controversial, so, for anyone who has read this book, I am very curious to hear what people more learned than me think of this book

Biology news on Phys.org
That review nicely summarizes what is wrong with the book in the OP.

The authors’ unconvincing thesis is not exactly helped by their many errors or misstatements about evolutionary theory and research.

1. What is the main premise of "Evolving Ourselves"?

The main premise of "Evolving Ourselves" is that humans have the potential and responsibility to actively guide our own evolution through advancements in technology, medicine, and genetics.

2. What are some potential benefits of actively evolving ourselves?

According to the authors, some potential benefits of actively evolving ourselves include increased lifespan, improved physical and cognitive abilities, and the ability to adapt to changing environments.

3. What are some potential concerns or risks associated with actively evolving ourselves?

There are several potential concerns and risks associated with actively evolving ourselves, including ethical considerations, unequal access to advancements, and unintended consequences on society and the environment.

4. How does "Evolving Ourselves" address the balance between individual choice and societal implications of actively evolving ourselves?

The book acknowledges the importance of balancing individual choice with societal implications and argues that open and transparent discussions and policies are necessary to navigate this complex issue.

5. What are some key takeaways from "Evolving Ourselves"?

Some key takeaways from "Evolving Ourselves" include the potential for humans to actively guide our own evolution, the importance of ethical considerations and societal discussions, and the potential benefits and risks associated with such advancements.