Opportunities for a Geoscience graduate?

• Other
  • Thread starter Flipmode22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graduate
In summary, the Geo-science field is in a rough job market and it may be difficult to find work outside of the oil and gas industry.
Flipmode22
Hi everyone,

I recently graduated with a Geo-science degree and I am currently working towards a GIS certificate. I expected to be able to access lots of new jobs, but this has not been the case. I expected to work in the Oil and Gas industry after college, but that industry is enduring massive layoffs and I am now looking at a variety of industries. Overall, my job search has been very rough. What kinds of opportunities exist for Geo-science majors outside of the oil and gas industry? Are there any particular fields that are in demand?

Physics news on Phys.org
Flipmode22 said:
Hi everyone,

I recently graduated with a Geo-science degree and I am currently working towards a GIS certificate. I expected to be able to access lots of new jobs, but this has not been the case. I expected to work in the Oil and Gas industry after college, but that industry is enduring massive layoffs and I am now looking at a variety of industries. Overall, my job search has been very rough. What kinds of opportunities exist for Geo-science majors outside of the oil and gas industry? Are there any particular fields that are in demand?

Look no further than your local utilities. They're very busy trying to parse through old records and to get going on a GIS project to identify where power lines, pipelines, phone lines and the like are located. Those that do have this data in GIS form of one sort or another are also busy trying to model it and assess performance bottlenecks. There are also water resource management groups who are trying to figure out where the water comes from and how it gets into rivers and aquifers.

There are also many city planning groups who seek to improve on traffic problems. Again, geo-science can help.

I pulled this list from thin air. I'm sure others can make suggestions I have overlooked.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
Look no further than your local utilities. They're very busy trying to parse through old records and to get going on a GIS project to identify where power lines, pipelines, phone lines and the like are located. Those that do have this data in GIS form of one sort or another are also busy trying to model it and assess performance bottlenecks. There are also water resource management groups who are trying to figure out where the water comes from and how it gets into rivers and aquifers.

There are also many city planning groups who seek to improve on traffic problems. Again, geo-science can help.

I pulled this list from thin air. I'm sure others can make suggestions I have overlooked.

Thanks for the info!

I am experienced GIS professional in this field since 2000. I have M.S. and a lot of training done by ESRI in their facilities. GIS and related fields always had been cyclical. We are entering an era, where GIS jobs have pretty much evaporated. I do not remember such bad job market in my field. Even in 2008 or 2010 I was changing jobs and had different offers within several weeks. This time I am looking for several months and I never experienced such bad job market. Nobody is hiring and I can barely get a phone interview. Several of my colleagues were already laid off and I may be losing a job next month. I have been applying daily, had submitted hundreds of resumes, and no luck. It is really bad. On top of it, I have a solid IT and programming skills, but it does not matter. There are just no jobs in GIS, Geointelligence, and Imagery science. My former colleagues from various GIS jobs had already abandoned this field and pursued different career options. If you do not get GIS job, or you are about to lose a job in GIS in 2016, this is the end of your GIS career.

1. What types of careers can a Geoscience graduate pursue?

Geoscience graduates have a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in environmental consulting, oil and gas exploration, mining and minerals, renewable energy, government agencies, and research and academia. They can also work in various industries such as construction, engineering, and agriculture.

2. What skills are important for a Geoscience graduate to possess?

Some key skills that are important for a Geoscience graduate include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, critical thinking, attention to detail, data analysis and interpretation, and excellent communication skills. They should also have a good understanding of geospatial technology and software, as well as fieldwork experience.

3. How can a Geoscience graduate gain practical experience?

Geoscience graduates can gain practical experience through internships, fieldwork, research projects, and volunteering opportunities. They can also participate in conferences, workshops, and seminars to network and learn from professionals in the field. Many universities also offer co-op programs that allow students to gain hands-on experience while studying.

4. What are the current job prospects for Geoscience graduates?

The job market for Geoscience graduates is generally positive, with a projected growth of 6% from 2018 to 2028. This is due to the increasing demand for natural resources, environmental protection, and renewable energy sources. However, job prospects may vary depending on the specific industry and location.

5. Is further education necessary for a successful career in Geoscience?

Further education, such as a master's or doctoral degree, can be beneficial for a successful career in Geoscience. It allows for specialization in a specific subfield, such as geophysics or hydrology, and can open up higher-level job opportunities. However, a bachelor's degree in Geoscience can also lead to a fulfilling and successful career, especially with relevant work experience and professional development.