Optical depth using Bremsstahlung emission coefficient

In summary, the author thinks that at the turnover frequency, tau=1, which can be seen better by plotting the log I vs log nu, and that this results in an equation that can be rearranged to give an optical depth in GHz.
Kayla Martin
Homework Statement
I am a bit confused how to go about this question.
Relevant Equations
See below.
q_LI.jpg

Equations I think may be relevant:

equations.png

Physics news on Phys.org
My god, something I can actually help with! (I'm an infrequent visitor here who just sponges you guys with my own questions!)
So hopefully in your "class" it was explained how at the turnover frequency that tau=1 (this can be seen better by plotting the log I vs log nu
Putting that (tau=1) into the optical depth equation (last on your pic), and re-arrange the equation for GHz ^ (-2.1), now put that back into the same optical depth equation (in other words you are substituting your result for the GHz ^ (2.1) when the optical depth was 1. You'll see everything cancel leaving just the result the question asks for`. Hope that helps!

weak_phys said:
My god, something I can actually help with! (I'm an infrequent visitor here who just sponges you guys with my own questions!)
So hopefully in your "class" it was explained how at the turnover frequency that tau=1 (this can be seen better by plotting the log I vs log nu
Putting that (tau=1) into the optical depth equation (last on your pic), and re-arrange the equation for GHz ^ (-2.1), now put that back into the same optical depth equation (in other words you are substituting your result for the GHz ^ (2.1) when the optical depth was 1. You'll see everything cancel leaving just the result the question asks for`. Hope that helps!
Am I able to direct message you to ask you another question that relates to this part seeing as you seem to know what you're doing?

Kayla Martin said:
Am I able to direct message you to ask you another question that relates to this part seeing as you seem to know what you're doing?
Of course, i don't know what time zone you're in but if i go to sleep before i hear from you i'll be sure to check in tomorrow.

Likes Kayla Martin

1. What is the concept of optical depth?

Optical depth is a measure of how much light is absorbed or scattered as it passes through a medium, such as a gas or a material. It is a dimensionless quantity that indicates the relative amount of light that is attenuated, or reduced in intensity, as it travels through the medium.

2. How is optical depth related to Bremsstrahlung emission coefficient?

The Bremsstrahlung emission coefficient is a measure of the amount of radiation emitted by charged particles as they are accelerated. In the context of optical depth, it is used to calculate the amount of light absorbed or scattered by a medium, which is directly related to the optical depth.

3. How is optical depth calculated using Bremsstrahlung emission coefficient?

The formula for calculating optical depth using Bremsstrahlung emission coefficient is: optical depth = Bremsstrahlung emission coefficient x distance traveled. This formula takes into account the amount of radiation emitted by charged particles and the distance the light travels through the medium.

4. What factors can affect the optical depth using Bremsstrahlung emission coefficient?

The optical depth using Bremsstrahlung emission coefficient can be affected by the density and composition of the medium, as well as the energy and number of charged particles present. The distance traveled by the light and the angle of incidence can also have an impact on the optical depth.

5. How is the concept of optical depth using Bremsstrahlung emission coefficient used in scientific research?

The concept of optical depth using Bremsstrahlung emission coefficient is commonly used in astrophysics and plasma physics research to study the properties of interstellar and intergalactic mediums. It is also used in materials science to understand the behavior of light as it passes through different materials and to develop new technologies such as solar cells and optical fibers.