Optical power of Smartphone (Galaxy S20) torch

In summary, the conversation revolves around using a smartphone as an illumination source for a project on phototransistors. The individual is struggling to find the effective optical power of the light from the smartphone torch and is considering using a light meter to help. However, they ended up using a Thorlabs photodetector and encountered some issues with the responsivity being wavelength dependent. Despite this, they were able to estimate the surface power density of the optical light to be 1.92 mW/cm^2 at a distance of 2.5 cm from the backside of the phone.
Techni
TL;DR Summary
Looking for effective optical power of smartphone torch
In doing a project on phototransistors I am using my smartphone as illumination source.

In order to find the responsivity of the induced current from the light, I need to know the surface power density, which I could estimate, if I knew the effective optical power of the light from the smartphone torch.

I have scoured the internet (and even contacted Samsung tech support) with no luck, and am hoping someone can help me find a source for the info.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Algr said:
Perhaps a light meter would help? They used to be a critical tool in photography.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=light+meter&atb=v314-1&ia=web
Thank you for the response.

I ended up using a Thorlabs photodetector (https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=PDA100A-EC).

While I ran into the problem with the responsivity of the photodetector being wavelength dependent, due to the smartphone torch covering a wide spectrum, choosing an average responsivity of the photodetector gives a decent enough order of magnitude estimation.

Techni said:
average responsivity of the photodetector gives a decent enough order of magnitude estimation.
And what number did you get?

Likes Techni
I ended up with a rough estimate for the surface power density of the optical light of 1.92 mW/cm^2 at a distance of 2.5 cm normal to the torch plane (backside of the phone)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Tom.G and berkeman

1. What is the maximum optical power of the Galaxy S20 torch?

The maximum optical power of the Galaxy S20 torch is approximately 400 lumens.

2. How does the optical power of the Galaxy S20 torch compare to other smartphones?

The optical power of the Galaxy S20 torch is considered above average compared to other smartphones, with some models reaching up to 700 lumens.

3. Can the optical power of the Galaxy S20 torch be adjusted?

Yes, the brightness of the Galaxy S20 torch can be adjusted through the phone's settings or through third-party flashlight apps.

4. Does using the Galaxy S20 torch drain the battery faster?

Yes, using the torch feature on the Galaxy S20 will drain the battery faster than not using it. However, the impact on battery life is minimal and should not significantly affect overall battery performance.

5. What is the lifespan of the Galaxy S20 torch bulb?

The lifespan of the Galaxy S20 torch bulb is dependent on usage, but on average it can last for approximately 100,000 hours.