Optical power of Smartphone (Galaxy S20) torch

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
Techni
Messages
3
Reaction score
2
TL;DR
Looking for effective optical power of smartphone torch
In doing a project on phototransistors I am using my smartphone as illumination source.

In order to find the responsivity of the induced current from the light, I need to know the surface power density, which I could estimate, if I knew the effective optical power of the light from the smartphone torch.

I have scoured the internet (and even contacted Samsung tech support) with no luck, and am hoping someone can help me find a source for the info.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Algr said:
Perhaps a light meter would help? They used to be a critical tool in photography.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=light+meter&atb=v314-1&ia=web
Thank you for the response.

I ended up using a Thorlabs photodetector (https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=PDA100A-EC).

While I ran into the problem with the responsivity of the photodetector being wavelength dependent, due to the smartphone torch covering a wide spectrum, choosing an average responsivity of the photodetector gives a decent enough order of magnitude estimation.
 
Techni said:
average responsivity of the photodetector gives a decent enough order of magnitude estimation.
And what number did you get?
 
I ended up with a rough estimate for the surface power density of the optical light of 1.92 mW/cm^2 at a distance of 2.5 cm normal to the torch plane (backside of the phone)
 
Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G and berkeman