Optical process in semiconductors

In summary, the question is asking why \hbar\vec{q} is much smaller than \hbar\vec{k} when describing the change in energy and momentum of an electron in a semiconductor after it has absorbed energy from a photon. This is due to the difference in wavelengths between electrons and photons, with electrons having a much smaller DeBroglie wavelength compared to the average wavelength of a photon. This results in a much smaller value for \hbar\vec{q} compared to \hbar\vec{k}.
Defennder
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand this part of my notes where the optical absorption in both indirect and direct bandgap semiconductors. This part specifically mathematically describes the change in energy and momentum of an electron in a semiconductor after it has absorbed energy from incident photon.

Qn: Why is [tex]\hbar\vec{q} << \hbar\vec{k}[/tex]?

Homework Equations

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9665/qnmj5.th.jpg

This is the part I am referring to.

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I am currently taking Solid State myself and am currently learning this material, but I'll try to offer some insight.

I would think that [tex] \hbar\vec{q} << \hbar\vec{k}[/tex] would have to be true when you consider the wavelengths of typical electrons and photons.

Remember that the magnitude of the wave vector for either electron or photon is:

[tex] k=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/tex]

Where, for electrons, lambda is the DeBroglie Wavelength.

An average optical photon has a wavelength of ~500nm, while the DeBroglie wavelength of an electron is in the picometer range, much, much smaller. So, how does this effect the relative values of k and q and thus, the values of [tex]\hbar k[/tex] and [tex]\hbar q[/tex]?

Last edited:
Oh yeah, you're right. That should be the explanation. Thanks.

1. What is an optical process in semiconductors?

An optical process in semiconductors refers to the interaction between light and semiconductor materials, which can result in the generation, absorption, or manipulation of light. This plays a crucial role in the functionality of various optoelectronic devices, such as solar cells, LEDs, and lasers.

2. How does light interact with semiconductors?

Light can interact with semiconductors through a variety of processes, including absorption, scattering, and emission. When light is incident on a semiconductor material, it can be absorbed, causing electrons to be excited to higher energy levels. These excited electrons can then recombine with holes (positively charged vacancies) to emit light, or they can be used to generate electric current.

3. What types of optical processes can occur in semiconductors?

There are several types of optical processes that can occur in semiconductors, including absorption, emission, and scattering. In absorption, light energy is converted into electron-hole pairs, while in emission, electron-hole pairs recombine and emit light. Scattering involves the redirection of light due to interactions with the semiconductor material's atomic structure.

4. How are optical processes used in semiconductor devices?

Optical processes play a crucial role in the functionality of many semiconductor devices. For example, in solar cells, light is absorbed, and the resulting electron-hole pairs generate electric current. In LEDs, electrons and holes recombine to emit light. In lasers, light is amplified through stimulated emission, resulting in a coherent and intense beam of light.

5. What factors influence optical processes in semiconductors?

The optical processes that occur in semiconductors can be influenced by several factors, including the material's band structure, doping levels, and impurities. The wavelength, intensity, and polarization of the incident light can also affect the optical processes. Additionally, the physical structure and geometry of the semiconductor device can play a role in determining the type and efficiency of optical processes that occur.