Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical setup: proper lenses selection

1. Oct 29, 2013 #1
    Dear all,
    I am going to realize an experimental optical setup and I need your suggestions to make the correct selection of lenses.
    A polychromatic light beam coming from a monochromator (400-700, slit dimension: 1 mm, cone angle 11°) has to be focused onto the base of a cylindrical lens.
    I need the light beam striking onto the glass prism being almost parallel through the path along the prism.
    I think that a convergent beam with a section of 2 mm can “simulate” this ideal situation.
    Can you suggest me a combination of lenses able to direct the light beam from the monochromator to the prism?

Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some drawings would help ... it would also help to know what the setup is for.

4. Oct 30, 2013 #3
    Thank you for your fast reply.
    In the attachment you can find a raw scheme of my experimental setup.
    I thinck that a pair of achromatic doublet lens could be a good choice.
    But I need some suggestions to make a proper choice of focal lenses in order to obtain a beam focused on the the base of the prism with a small section (1-2 mm) and with a very small cone angle.
    Could you help me?

Thank you in advance

Attached Files:

5. Oct 30, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook