1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical setup: proper lenses selection

1. Oct 29, 2013 #1
    Dear all,
    I am going to realize an experimental optical setup and I need your suggestions to make the correct selection of lenses.
    A polychromatic light beam coming from a monochromator (400-700, slit dimension: 1 mm, cone angle 11°) has to be focused onto the base of a cylindrical lens.
    I need the light beam striking onto the glass prism being almost parallel through the path along the prism.
    I think that a convergent beam with a section of 2 mm can “simulate” this ideal situation.
    Can you suggest me a combination of lenses able to direct the light beam from the monochromator to the prism?

Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some drawings would help ... it would also help to know what the setup is for.

4. Oct 30, 2013 #3
    Thank you for your fast reply.
    In the attachment you can find a raw scheme of my experimental setup.
    I thinck that a pair of achromatic doublet lens could be a good choice.
    But I need some suggestions to make a proper choice of focal lenses in order to obtain a beam focused on the the base of the prism with a small section (1-2 mm) and with a very small cone angle.
    Could you help me?

Thank you in advance

Attached Files:

5. Oct 30, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook