• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Optics - Angular Magnification

• Thread starter Hyperfluxe
  • Start date

Homework Statement

The eyepiece of a compound microscope has a focal length of 2.50 cm and the objective has a focal length of 1.5 cm. The two lenses are separated by 17 cm. The microscope is used by a person with normal eyes (near point at 25 cm). What is the angular magnification of the microscope?

a) 283 x
b) 145 x
c) 97 x
d) 113 x
e) 242 x

Homework Equations

Angular Magnification = Near point / f (eye piece) = 25cm / f (eye piece)

Total magnification = 25cm(s1') / (f1f2)

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, I just thought it was asking for total magnification and got 113x, which is wrong. I know that the angular magnification is 25 / f (eye piece) so 25/2.5? Clearly not right. Perhaps I need to use the object-image formula (1/s + 1/s' = 1/f) to derive more information, but I'm not sure how. Help would be appreciated =)

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Why did you use 25cm for the near-point in the formula?
How may the other two measurements be used?

Do you know how the total magnification is related to the angular magnification?

I used 25cm because that is the normal near point, and it says it in the problem statement. The total magnification = angular magnification * lateral magnification, where lateral magnification = s1'/s1
Since I know that the total magnification is 113.333 (as calculated in my original post), I just have to divide by the lateral magnification to get the angular magnification. I don't know which measurements to use for lateral magnification though...

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I used 25cm because that is the normal near point, and it says it in the problem statement.
<checks> Oh so it does - well done ;)
The total magnification = angular magnification * lateral magnification, where lateral magnification = s1'/s1
Since I know that the total magnification is 113.333 (as calculated in my original post), I just have to divide by the lateral magnification to get the angular magnification. I don't know which measurements to use for lateral magnification though...
How would you normally compute the lateral magnification in a system of two lenses?

How would you normally compute the lateral magnification in a system of two lenses?
Using the object-image relation formula (1/s + 1/s' = 1/f), the image from the first lens becomes the object of the second lens. I tried doing that, but I'm not sure which lens acts as the object, and would the first object distance be 17cm?

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You are doing well - see how these questions refine the problem by stages?
Which lens gets the light from the actual object first?