1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optics - Spectacles lens Power Estimation

1. Aug 27, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I'm Chaitanya, 4th year undergraduate student in biomedical engg.

I have an idea of making a mobile phone application which measures the power of your spectacle glasses.

The idea is we take an image with the phone's inbuilt camera. One of the spectacle lens will be held in front of the camera such that it covers roughly half of the image.

In this way, one half of the image (lens half) will be nearer than the other half.

So, my questions are:

1. Can I do some image processing and give an estimation of the power of the lens?

2. How much time could this project take?

Thanks,
    Chaitanya.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Glasses do more than shifting the effective distance of an object - and their influence depends on their distance to the object and the distance to the camera, two unknown parameters. In addition, modern glasses often have more than one parameter.

It is possible to measure those parameters with test images with/without lenses in between, I did this as lab course (just more astronomy-related), but this used special hardware. It should be possible without, too.

4. Aug 27, 2012 #3
    Maybe we can instruct the user to place the object and the camera at some fixed distance. This might help in getting an accurate reading.

I'll go through that adaptive optics page and get back to you.

Thanks a lot! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook