Which takeaway arrives first, Ludo's Pizza or Moonlight Indian

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
ViralRiver
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Can you help me answer this question?

Paolo and some friends want to order a take away. Paolo writes down what they need to know about the two nearest takeaways:

Ludo's Pizza:
Time to cook food is 1/4 hour
Distance to the house is 6.5 KM
Deliver on scooters with average speed of 30km/h

Moonlight Indian Takeaway:
Time taken to cook food is 1/2 hour
Distance to house is 4km
Delivery van has average speed of 40km/h

Which takeaway should they order from to get their food quickest? (please show working)


Homework Equations


s=d/t


The Attempt at a Solution


I've tried converting each variable to metres and minutes but I couldn't work it out.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org


Find the time taken by the scooter to cover 6.5 km and van to cover 4 km. Add to them the respective time of cooking.
 


Imagine you are riding on the bike at 10 mph. You are 5 miles from home. How long will it take to get home?
 


The First one is faster from what i worked out. it takes << answer deleted by berkeman >>.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


You have the correct answer, first is faster, but I think the times you calculated are wrong
 


I did T=r/d to calculate the time it takes for the moped to get to the house.
 


Got confused there, thought Stratosphere had asked the question originally. ViralRiver already gave the relevant equation (s=d/t) you ( or ViralRiver really) need to rearrange that for t.
 


This is what I got:

Ludo - 0.47 hours (2dp)
Moonlight - 0.6 hours

Is this right?