Order of molecules during transcription

I wonder if this is a viable question:

During transcription processes, which molecule in genes is "first in line", the phosphate group or the ribose sugar? I know they line up interchangeably, but does one of them "start" the process first?

I guess I could ask the same thing about proteins when they are made, whether carboxyl or amino group comes first in line?

Answers and Replies

Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Phosphate and ribose are part of the same nucleotide molecule, so they get added simultaneously to RNA during transcription. There is a polarity to RNA synthesis, however. Nucleotides get linked together by a phosphodiester bond bridging carbon 5 from the ribose of one nucleotide to carbon 3 from the ribose of another nucleotide. These carbons are referred to as the 5' (five prime) and 3' (three prime) carbons to differentiate them from carbon 5 or 3 on the nitrogenous bases. When new nucleotides are added to a growing mRNA strand, RNA polymerase links the 3' end of the existing mRNA molecule to the 5' end of the new nucleotide.

Similarly, the amino- and carboxy- ends of amino acids are part of the same amino acid molecule, so they get added to proteins simultaneously. However, proteins are synthesized from the amino-terminus to carboxy-terminus (i.e. the amine group of a new amino acid gets linked to the carboxyl group of the growing polypeptide chain).

Likes jim mcnamara and icakeov
Perfect, exactly what I asked, many thanks Ygggdrasil!