1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ordered set ,filed, definition of =

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    ordered set ,filed, definition of "="

Hi everyone,
    an ordered set is a set S that for any x,y in S, there is a order definition "<" so that one and only one of the followings will be true:
    x<y, y<x, x=y.
    and also if x<y, y<z and x,y,z in S, then x<z.
    but there is no such a definition that if x=y,y=z and x,y,z in S, then x=y=z and also a definition like x=x if x is in S.

An filed(F) should fullfill the axioms of addition,mulplification and distribution law.
    from the addition axiom we can get the proposition that if x+y=x+z then y=z by following proof:
    y=0+y=(-x+x)+y=-x+(x+y)
    given above condition x+y=x+z then
    y=-x+x+z=0+z=z.
    but there is no such a definition or axioms that if x=y,a=b and x,y,z,b are in F, then x+a=y+b.
    it really confuse me about "if x=y,y=z then x=z".
    could you help me?
    thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: ordered set ,filed, definition of "="

Where did you get the idea that "there is no such a definition that if x=y,y=z and x,y,z in S, then x=y=z and also a definition like x=x if x is in S"? Equality is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive.

4. Sep 13, 2009 #3

Hi DH,
    thank you for your reply.
    I get the definition of order, ordered set, filed, from rudin's book principles of mathematical analysis. In this books there is no definition or axiom like if x=y,y=z. then x=z. I did not see any definition of equality with reflexive,symmetric and transitive.

5. Sep 14, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You will not see it in a definition of field (not "filled" or "filed") because it is part of the definition of "=" itself which is primitive to field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook