Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oribit integrator for a logarithmic potential

1. Jan 25, 2016 #1
    Hello! Right know I'm trying to make an orbit integrator for solving a logarithmic potential with the form:
    \begin{equation}
    \Phi= \frac{v_0^2}{2} ln(x^2+ \frac{y^2}{u^2} + r_0^2)
    \end{equation}
    where v0, u, and r0 are constants
    My approach is to use,
    \begin{equation}
    \ddot{q} = -\bigtriangledown \Phi
    \end{equation}
    Then the system equations,
    \begin{equation}
    \ddot{x} = -v_o^2 \frac{x}{x^2+ \frac{y^2}{u^2} + r_0^2}
    \end{equation}
    \begin{equation}
    \ddot{y} = -\frac{v_o^2}{u^2} \frac{y}{x^2+ \frac{y^2}{u^2} + r_0^2}
    \end{equation}
    My guess is that in order to solve for x and y using Runge Kutta or leapfrog, I need to decouple the system, but I don't know how to do so.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2016 #2
    If by decouple the system, you mean separate the variables, it probably is not possible. But Runge-Kutta can be used to integrate the equations of motion as is. The Hamiltonian formulation (four equations with first derivatives) is usually easier.

4. Jan 28, 2016 #3
    Hello, thanks for your response!

By doing the Hamiltonian approach I still get equations (3) and (4) above, and the other two are are apparently of no use.
    The problem is that I don't know how (if possible) to adapt the Runge-Kutta using two dependent variables (x,y) and the independent one (t).

5. Jan 28, 2016 #4
    Sure it is possible. It is very straightforward. Just apply the method to all four equations at every step of the code.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook