Orthogonality in Discrete Fourier Transforms

In summary, my professor stated that the following orthogonality condition holds:\sum_{n=0}^N cos(2\pi mn/N)cos(2\pi kn/N)=0where m != k, and 0<= m,k < N.I couldn't prove this, so I plugged in specific values: N=4, m=1, k=3. I found that the sum equals 2. Likewise for other situations where m+k=N, it comes out non-zero.Is the condition incorrect?I'm absolutely sure that my calculations are correct. This seems similar to resonance; at a particular frequency the components
bdforbes
My professor stated that the following orthogonality condition holds:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^N cos(2\pi mn/N)cos(2\pi kn/N)=0[/tex]

where m != k, and 0<= m,k < N.

I couldn't prove this, so I plugged in specific values: N=4, m=1, k=3. I found that the sum equals 2. Likewise for other situations where m+k=N, it comes out non-zero.

Is the condition incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm absolutely sure that my calculations are correct. This seems similar to resonance; at a particular frequency the components resonate and reinforce each other, whereas for other frequencies there is no resonance and they cancel to zero. It seems like this then implies there are only N/2 mutually orthogonal cos() basis functions and N/2 mutually orthogonal sin() basis functions. This is strange though because there are 2N mutually orthogonal complex exponentials which have the following orthogonality condition:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{N-1}
\left(e^{ \frac{2\pi i}{N} kn}\right)
\left(e^{-\frac{2\pi i}{N} k'n}\right)
=N~\delta_{kk'}[/tex]

where k,k' range between -(N-1) and +(N-1)

There are only N linearly independent exponentials:

exp(2ki\pi/N)

as k goes from 0 to N-1 (or 1 to N).

Notice that there are actually 2N-1 integers in the range -N+1 to N-1, anyway.

Hmm. So DFTs only have positive exponentials but FTs have positive AND negative?

In any case, it still appears that the given orthogonality condition for the cosines is incorrect, right?

Well, the DFT is explained as being over the complex numbers, and FT over the reals, usually. So a 2N dimensional real space is N complex dimensional, and you see everything is consistent.

If you think about attempting to extract cos or sin from the exponential version using only *real* coefficients, then you need both the +ve and -ve exponents. I'm being reticent on the original question, not because you're wrong, but because I haven't figured out what your professor was attempting to say: you should speak to him, it would be better all round.

That makes sense now. In FTs we have the time domain and frequency domain, both of which are in the reals, whereas in DFTs, we pull coefficients from the complex numbers. So that part is solved, we still have the same number of mutually orthogonal basis functions.

I'll ask my professor today about the original problem. The bottom line is that we need a condition that allows us to pull the coefficients a_m and b_m out of this sum:

[tex]\frac{a_0}{2}+\sum_{m=1}^{N-1}\left[a_m cos(2\pi mn/N)+b_m sin(2\pi mn/N)\right][/tex]

With continuous time we would just multiply by a cos or sin, and integrate over all time, but in the discrete case, we have to sum with respect to the N samples in time we are taking.
The sum above really appears to have non-orthogonal components. Wouldn't it be equivalent to just have the sum

[tex]\sum_{m=1}^{\left\lfloor \frac{N+1}{2}\right\rfloor[/tex]

since this sums over a maximal set of mutually orthogonal functions?

1. What is orthogonality in discrete Fourier transforms?

Orthogonality in discrete Fourier transforms refers to the property where the basis functions of the transform are orthogonal to each other. This means that when two basis functions are multiplied together and integrated over a certain range, the result is zero. This property is essential in the analysis and manipulation of signals and data using the Fourier transform.

2. How is orthogonality achieved in discrete Fourier transforms?

Orthogonality is achieved in discrete Fourier transforms through the use of complex exponential functions as basis functions. These functions have a periodicity property that results in orthogonality when multiplied and integrated. Additionally, the use of a finite set of basis functions rather than an infinite set also contributes to achieving orthogonality.

3. What is the significance of orthogonality in discrete Fourier transforms?

The orthogonality property of discrete Fourier transforms allows for efficient and accurate analysis and manipulation of signals and data. It enables the separation of a signal into its individual frequency components, making it useful in applications such as filtering, compression, and spectral analysis. Orthogonality also simplifies the mathematical operations involved in using the Fourier transform.

4. Can orthogonality be violated in discrete Fourier transforms?

Yes, orthogonality can be violated in discrete Fourier transforms if the assumptions and conditions for its application are not met. For example, if the signal being transformed is not periodic or the basis functions are not properly chosen, orthogonality may not hold. It is important to ensure that the necessary conditions are met in order to accurately use the discrete Fourier transform and maintain orthogonality.

5. How is orthogonality utilized in practical applications of discrete Fourier transforms?

In practical applications, orthogonality in discrete Fourier transforms allows for the efficient and accurate analysis and manipulation of signals and data. It is used in various fields such as signal processing, image and audio compression, and spectral analysis. By separating a signal into its frequency components, orthogonality allows for targeted processing and manipulation of specific frequencies, leading to a wide range of practical applications.