Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthonormal tetrad/frame name question

  1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    This is just a "lingo" question, and maybe it belongs in a relativity/field theory thread instead of here, but does anyone know: is the term "orthonormal tetrad" referring to the same object as an "orthonormal frame"?

    The tetrad bit is throwing me off, but I'm pretty sure they're the same. Anyone know?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2009 #2
    Yes, although it's technically incorrect to apply the term "tetrad" in any situation other than with four dimensions, 'tetr-' being the Greek root for "four."
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Orthonormal tetrad/frame name question
  1. Orthonormal frame (Replies: 3)

  2. Naming a circle (Replies: 5)

  3. Name of the curvature (Replies: 1)