Osama Bin Laden killed by US in Pakistan

Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
News reports are saying Osama Bin Laden has been killed in Islamabad by a US bomb, reportedly the result of a sensitive intelligence operation.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/01/usama-bin-laden-dead-say-sources/

Usama bin Laden is dead, multiple sources confirm to Fox News. President Obama is expected to deliver a statement from the White House Sunday night to discuss the major development. Sources said bin Laden was killed by a U.S. bomb a week ago. The U.S. had been waiting for the results of a DNA test to confirm his identity. The announcement comes nearly a decade after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks which started a tireless hunt for the terrorist mastermind and Al Qaeda leader.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/01/usama-bin-laden-dead-say-sources/#ixzz1LA5ByBNk

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

That's a wonderful news!

I hope this will weaken the terrorist operations in Afghanistan and Pakistan. However, I don't expect to see any bigger changes.

That's a wonderful news!

I hope this will weaken the terrorist operations in Afghanistan and Pakistan. However, I don't expect to see any bigger changes.
It won't. Al-Qaeda has already been almost completely eradicated, at least inside Afghanistan, and they have almost zero direct ties with the Taliban (who are not a terrorist organization by the way).

Honestly, this is mostly a huge political victory for Obama, and a symbolic victory for the U.S., but very little change will come from this. I'd expect some protects in Pakistan, but not much more.

russ_watters
Mentor

Obama said in his speech he was killed today by a military ground force. That's pretty ballsy - more than I would have expected from him.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Kudos to the service men and women who made this happen, and to the behind-the-scenes intelligence professionals too!

Bad move Obama, bad move.
2hyjr02.png

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

:rofl:

Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Obama's speech minutes ago said that Bin laden was killed in a firefight in a compound deep within Pakistan, and U.S. forces took control of his body. It appears this was more than an Air Force bomb being dropped.

Kudos to the service men and women who made this happen, and to the behind-the-scenes intelligence professionals too!
I was also thinking of all the hard work they did for about a decade!

It won't. Al-Qaeda has already been almost completely eradicated, at least inside Afghanistan, and they have almost zero direct ties with the Taliban (who are not a terrorist organization by the way).
He was more of a symbolic figure. It certainly is big political victory for Obama

Bad move Obama, bad move.
2hyjr02.png
The Friend button is not working. I wanted to friend him. He must be feeling pretty bad right now knowing he will not get any wergins.

this is amazing news. I am very happy. I think Osama not paying the price for 9/11 has been weighing on the minds of a lot of Americans for a long, long time.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

The Friend button is not working. I wanted to friend him. He must be feeling pretty bad right now knowing he will not get any wergins.
:rofl: Lacy, you crack me up!

Meh, he doesn't need any more virgins...didn't he already have like 12 wives?

Pengwuino
Gold Member

Looks like they got him in an urban area. Someone is going to have some explaining to do!

Say HAI to Saddam you son of a biatch :)

I'm guessing Mr. Trump will need to see a long-form death certificate?

Pengwuino
Gold Member

And now, no more wedding talk!! DOUBLE WOOT!!!

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

News reports are saying Osama Bin Laden has been killed in Islamabad by a US bomb, reportedly the result of a sensitive intelligence operation.
He was shot in the head in a firefight.

Lots of people out in the streets in New York and Washington celebrating!

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

I'm guessing Mr. Trump will need to see a long-form death certificate?
:rofl: No, but the Muslim world will. They will want to see the body; hole in head included.

Al68

this is amazing news. I am very happy. I think Osama not paying the price for 9/11 has been weighing on the minds of a lot of Americans for a long, long time.
Yes, it has. And his death will improve the health of many. The blood pressure of millions of Americans rose sharply every time they thought of Osama bin Ladin still being alive and free.

And this is certainly the greatest accomplishment of this administration. And it doesn't raise my blood pressure one bit to say: Kudos President Obama!

(Well, maybe it did a little, but I still stand by it)

Lichdar

A glorious day.

Pengwuino
Gold Member

What day was he actually killed? Someone posted that Hitler was killed on April 30th... would be one hell of a coincidence!

This is such a great day for the US though. We haven't had anything to celebrate in a very long time.

Last edited:
ideasrule
Homework Helper

As my friend said, "you know, the Romans were also pretty happy when they killed Jesus Christ." Considering that al-Qaeda has no qualms about using suicidal attacks, I expect bin Laden to be considered a martyr.

He was more of a symbolic figure. It certainly is big political victory for Obama
I don't think he was just a symbolic figure. If nothing else, he's the son of a Saudi billionaire and controls a personal wealth of 30-300 million US dollars. That's a lot of money anywhere, but in the impoverished Afghan/Pakistani region where people are desperate for money, it can buy you an impressive army.