1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillations in a magnetic field

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A long, narrow bar magnet that has magnetic moment [tex]\vec{\mu}[/tex] parallel to its long axis is suspended at its center as a frictionless compass needle. When placed in a region with a horizontal magnetic field [tex]\vec{B}[/tex], the needle lines up with the field. If it is displaced by a small angle theta, show that the needle will oscillate about its equilibrium position with frequency f= (1/2pi)*sqrt(uB/I), where I is the moment of inertia of the needle about the point of suspension.

2. Relevant equations
    No specific equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I remember from my mechanics physics class that I need to figure out what the restoring force is. However, that is where I run into my first problem. I do not know how to model an equation to show how the magnetic field will restore the magnet to equilibrium.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2
    This equation looks the exact same as the equation for the oscillation frequency of a spring f=(1/2pi)*sqrt(k/m). I know it is a harmonic oscillator, but can anyone get me started on how to change from sqrt(k/m) to sqrt(uB/I). Any help on how to start would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook