Otimes notation and tau matrices used in definition of gamma matrices?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
Peeter
Messages
303
Reaction score
3
In Zee's Quantum Field theory book he writes

[tex]\begin{align}\gamma^0 &= \begin{bmatrix}I & 0 \\ 0 & -I\end{bmatrix}=I \otimes \tau_3 \\ \gamma^i &= \begin{bmatrix}0 & \sigma^i \\ \sigma^i & 0\end{bmatrix}=\sigma^i \otimes \tau_2 \\ \gamma^5 &=\begin{bmatrix}0 & I \\ I & 0\end{bmatrix}=I \otimes \tau_1 \end{align}[/tex]

The Pauli matrices [itex]\sigma^i[/itex] I've seen. However, I have two questions

1) What are these [itex]\tau_i[/itex] matrices?
2) I'm not familiar with this [itex]\otimes[/itex] notation.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Peeter said:
I find that the tau matrices are just the sigma matrices.
... which is what Zee says beneath his eq(4) on p90.

Odd that two different notations would be used. One notation when defining the gamma matrices in terms sigmas directly, and an entirely different notation when using the tensor product?

I don't use tau's myself.

BTW, your earlier expression for gamma^i doesn't match Zee's.