Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Our cat is foaming at the mouth

1. Sep 9, 2007 #1
    We think he ate a frog or something. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks,
    -Scott

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2007 #2
    I'd say a trip to the nearest emergency vet clinic may be in order. Any other symptoms?

4. Sep 9, 2007 #3
    No, just acting strangely. I think we will just wait it out until tomorrow.

5. Sep 9, 2007 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would go now. He could have ingested poison.

6. Sep 9, 2007 #5
    bad!!!

7. Sep 9, 2007 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I've seen dogs do that with frogs or toads if the excrete some vile tasting chemical. I think one of our older cats might have done that.

If that's the case get some water in a spray bottle, open the cats mouth with one hand and try to clear out the mouth with the other while someone else sprays gently with the water.

I've had plenty experience of extracting things that one our cats likes to swallow (e.g. thread or gift wrapping threads).

I've also had plenty of experience giving pills to cats.

8. Sep 12, 2007 #7
    is your cat okay now?? you kind of left us hanging! :bugeye:

9. Sep 12, 2007 #8

berkeman

I know the thread is a couple days old, but just as another datapoint in case it helps others who experience this. We used to have a cat when I lived out in the country who would eat slugs every once in a while (why, I have no idea). Dumb cat would have a foamy mouth for several hours after doing that.

I think Astro's advice was good -- clean out the mouth and see if it re-foams. If it re-foams, then it's time for a trip to the Vet.

10. Sep 12, 2007 #9
    Scott- please let us know how your cat is. Did you find a cause?

11. Sep 13, 2007 #10

Evo

How is the cat?

12. Sep 13, 2007 #11

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now, we PF'ers foaming at the mouth -- instead of the cat.

13. Sep 13, 2007 #12
    Oh he's fine now, sorry. I was just kinda busy. He threw up a little bit but otherwise he is back to his normal self. I looked it up on google and it appears that cat's will foam for a variety of reasons, including nausea or pleasure in some cases. The vet said that if he was not dead by now, he will most likely be fine. He probably ate a little bit of fertilizer or something.

Thanks for caring,
    -scott

14. Sep 13, 2007 #13

Evo

Thank goodness. Glad to hear he's ok.

15. Sep 13, 2007 #14
    Yay! :biggrin: you had me scared for a second.

... foaming at the mouth from pleasure? ... anyone else find that mildly creepy?

16. Sep 13, 2007 #15

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I dunno. Happens to me all the time. You should see my pillow. :yuck:

- Warren

17. Sep 13, 2007 #16
    ah! :yuck: you should have that checked, have you been eating frogs or fertilizer lately?

18. Sep 14, 2007 #17
    Creases, drool, ya can't win. At this rate I may as well sleep standing in the corner. :<)

Scott- thanks for the update. If it happens again you might want to check it out. Sometimes food can have odd concentrations or cause a reaction as well.

19. Sep 15, 2007 #18
    This is funny-

Today when tiger was wanting to go out, and we did not let him, he started to eat a ginger plant we had!

-scott

20. Sep 15, 2007 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm glad he is OK. Maybe you could get him some kitty grass to nibble on.

21. Sep 17, 2007 #20
    Lol. Our cats LOVE nibbling on our plants. We have a plant by our front door and when I'm walking by, I sometimes see one of the cats just sticking his mouth on the plant (its usually Chocolate). Its funny :D.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?