Our universe was connected to another universe?

• B
  • Thread starter ElliotSmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, there is a theory that suggests our universe was once connected to another universe and split off billions of years ago. However, there is no corroborating evidence at this time and the origin of this theory is uncertain. Therefore, there is no valid basis for further discussion on this topic.
ElliotSmith
TL;DR Summary
Was our universe once connected to another universe many billions of years ago?
Summary: Was our universe once connected to another universe many billions of years ago?

I read about a theory which states that our universe used to be connected to another universe which somehow split off from it many billions of years ago.

Is there any corroborating evidence to support this?

Space news on Phys.org
ElliotSmith said:
I read about a theory

Please give a specific reference.

PeterDonis said:
Please give a specific reference.

I think it was an old issue of Scientific American, I can't remember which one, though.

Was that the one that gave rise to the quip about 'banging branes together' ?
( Snarky take on Hitchikers Guide's DJ ...)

ElliotSmith said:
I think it was an old issue of Scientific American, I can't remember which one, though.

Then we don't have a valid basis for a PF discussion. Thread closed.

1. How do we know that our universe was connected to another universe?

There are several theories and observations that suggest the possibility of our universe being connected to another. One theory is the concept of "brane cosmology," which suggests that our universe is one of many parallel universes that exist on different "branes" or membranes. Additionally, the observation of cosmic microwave background radiation, which is leftover radiation from the Big Bang, supports the idea of a multiverse where our universe is just one of many.

2. What evidence supports the idea of our universe being connected to another?

Aside from theories and observations, there is also evidence from mathematical models and simulations that suggest the existence of a multiverse. These models show that our universe may have originated from a "parent universe" and that other universes may exist beyond our observable universe.

3. How could our universe be connected to another universe?

There are various theories on how our universe could be connected to another. One theory is the concept of "eternal inflation," which suggests that our universe is constantly expanding and creating new universes in the process. Another theory is the concept of "wormholes," which are hypothetical tunnels that could connect different parts of our universe or even different universes.

4. What implications does the idea of a connected universe have?

If our universe is indeed connected to another, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its origins. It could also potentially provide explanations for phenomena that cannot be explained by our current understanding of the universe, such as dark matter and dark energy.

5. Can we ever prove the existence of a connected universe?

At this time, there is no concrete evidence or proof of a connected universe. However, as technology and scientific advancements continue to progress, we may be able to gather more evidence and potentially prove the existence of a multiverse. It is an ongoing area of research and exploration in the scientific community.