Outdoor wired networking advice

1. Hello all,
    so I'm sick of connecting wirelessly from my router (in the bottom, rear, west corner of my house) to the room where I do all of my work (the top, front, east corner). I decided I'm going to run a cable along the outside of the house and into the work room.

The cable will not be buried, and I'm worried about it being subject to the elements. It will be about 150 feet, and as I understand it, there isn't any serious performance loss until about 200 feet or more, so that shouldn't be a problem.

So far, it seems to me like a cable like this one should do the job:
    http://www.rakuten.com/prod/150ft-o...6-ethernet-cable-direct-burial/211959042.html

However, before I go and spend my money, I want to make sure this is the right tool for the job.
    Other than installing it along the house, is there any additional steps that I would have to take to ensure durability? Would I have to worry about grounding and lightning strikes?

Thanks

EDIT: I should probably also mention where I live, in case climate makes a difference. I live in the Greater Philadelphia Area, so we get a little bit of everything weather-wise, but nothing too extreme.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. robphy

robphy 4,416
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. berkeman

Staff: Mentor

5. jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If the house's electrical wiring is in good shape, perhaps a pair of powerline networking adapters would do the trick.

WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit

Linksys Powerline AV 4-Port Network Adapter Kit (PLSK400)

I've been considering getting one of these two models, to allow me to stream video faster between my computer at one end of my house to the audio/video setup at the other end. I now have to use a wireless extender (a second Apple Airport Express unit) to cover the distance and punch through the intervening walls.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  6. Borg

Borg 1,186
    Gold Member

Maybe the OP could move the router one room or two closer toward the the top, front, east corner?

7. rcgldr

rcgldr 7,538
    Homework Helper

What about a lightning strike?

8. Chronos

Chronos 10,053
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Burying your cable will expose you to all sorts of undesirable side effects that will be difficult to service without replacing the cable. Most wireless routers easily have a range of a hundred or more feet. At worst, you might need a repeater.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted