Over what frequency range are Maxwell's equations valid?

In summary: Yes you might be right. Perhaps I was hoping there was more to it. I'll take it as it is for now unless someone else has any thoughts. Thanks for your input!In summary, this question is asking for someone's best guess as to what frequency range the Maxwell's Equations are valid for.
MathPi

Homework Statement

I am studying for an Optics exam and in one of the practise tests is the following question: "Over what frequency range are Maxwell's equations valid?"

Homework Equations

Maxwell's Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've searched through my Griffiths Intro to electrodynamics, and all over Google, but came out short. Any leads would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
MathPi said:

Homework Statement

I am studying for an Optics exam and in one of the practise tests is the following question: "Over what frequency range are Maxwell's equations valid?"

Homework Equations

Maxwell's Equations

I've searched through my Griffiths Intro to electrodynamics, and all over Google, but came out short. Any leads would be appreciated.
Do you see any frequency dependent terms in Maxwell's Equations? Are you familiar with how to work with differential equations like the linked system of Maxwell's Equations?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...quations.svg/500px-Maxwell'sEquations.svg.png
500px-Maxwell'sEquations.svg.png

MathPi said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Maxwell's Equations

I should add that this is not homework for a class that I am taking, nor am I receiving any marks for answering this question.
berkeman said:
Do you see any frequency dependent terms in Maxwell's Equations? Are you familiar with how to work with differential equations like the linked system of Maxwell's Equations?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...quations.svg/500px-Maxwell'sEquations.svg.png
500px-Maxwell'sEquations.svg.png
Yes I am familiar with solving DEs (I have a math degree). I am also familiar with Maxwells equations (I also have a physics degree). The question is literally as I have posted it - my best guess is that the these laws are not good at the quantum level and QED must be used (I am not too good at QED, I only took one course in subatomic physics).

I should add that this is not a homework question for a course I am taking. Nor am I receiving any marks for answering this.

MathPi said:
"Over what frequency range are Maxwell's equations valid?"
MathPi said:
my best guess is that the these laws are not good at the quantum level and QED must be used (I am not too good at QED, I only took one course in subatomic physics).
How are these two statements related? Your OP said nothing about QM, only about frequency limitations...

berkeman said:
How are these two statements related? Your OP said nothing about QM, only about frequency limitations...
It's just a guess - trying to come to an answer through discussion. Any constructive input is appreciated :)

I think you are over-thinking it.
berkeman said:
Do you see any frequency dependent terms in Maxwell's Equations?
What level is this question anyway. From your OP it sounded like it was at a pretty basic level:
MathPi said:
I am studying for an Optics exam
Opticians don't do much with QM.

OTOH, if this is for a Quantum Optics class, there may be a different answer, I suppose.

berkeman said:
I think you are over-thinking it.

What level is this question anyway. From your OP it sounded like it was at a pretty basic level:

Opticians don't do much with QM.

OTOH, if this is for a Quantum Optics class, there may be a different answer, I suppose.
Ah I should have specified the level. The exam is for an undergraduate optics at an advanced EM level (maybe 4th year physics).

MathPi said:
Ah I should have specified the level. The exam is for an undergraduate optics at an advanced EM level (maybe 4th year physics).

Even if I am overthinking it there are only two possibilities: either Maxwells equations are valid for all frequencies, or they are not. If not, what are the ranges and why?

So QED may be involved? I'm not familiar with any frequency limitations of Maxwell's Equations, but are they modified for QED? That's kind of a different question.

berkeman said:
So QED may be involved? I'm not familiar with any frequency limitations of Maxwell's Equations, but are they modified for QED? That's kind of a different question.
I doubt QED is involved - that's too advanced for this course. Like I said it was just a guess - maybe not a good one! I cannot think of anything else besides that (trying to remember my subatomic physics course).

At least from my perspective, frequency limitations do not come into effect with the basic Maxwell Equations. Probably a trick question...

Likes MathPi
berkeman said:
At least from my perspective, frequency limitations do not come into effect with the basic Maxwell Equations. Probably a trick question...
Yes you might be right. Perhaps I was hoping there was more to it. I'll take it as it is for now unless someone else has any thoughts. Thanks for your input!

Likes berkeman

1. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and their interactions with matter. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and form the basis of classical electromagnetism.

2. Why are Maxwell's equations important?

Maxwell's equations are important because they provide a complete and accurate description of the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They have been extensively tested and are considered one of the most successful theories in physics. They also paved the way for the development of modern technologies such as radio, television, and the internet.

3. Over what frequency range are Maxwell's equations valid?

Maxwell's equations are valid over a wide range of frequencies, from extremely low frequencies (such as those used in power transmission) to very high frequencies (such as those used in wireless communication). In general, they are valid for frequencies up to the infrared range, which is about 300 GHz.

4. Are there any limitations to Maxwell's equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to Maxwell's equations. They do not take into account quantum effects, and therefore are not applicable at very small scales (such as at the atomic level). They also do not account for the effects of relativity, and thus are not accurate in situations where objects are moving at very high speeds.

5. How do Maxwell's equations relate to other branches of physics?

Maxwell's equations are closely related to other branches of physics, such as optics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are also a key component of the theory of electromagnetism, which is one of the four fundamental forces in the universe. Additionally, they have played a crucial role in the development of technologies that have shaped our modern world.