[P CHem] HCL/DCL r and p branch J value assignment

In summary, the conversation is about assigning J values for the P and R branches of H35cl, H37cl, d35cl, and d37cl compounds. The speaker is confused about how to assign these values and has been looking online for guidance. They mention that the P branch starts at 1, while R can be 0, 1, 2, 3, etc. They also mention having identified the P branch from the R branch based on the wave numbers, and being aware that the less intense peaks of the doublets correspond to the less common isotopes. The speaker is also unsure about the difference between J and J' values and how to determine them from the wave numbers.
Chickenpoxpie

Homework Statement

Assign J values for P and R branches of H35cl, H37cl, d35cl, and d37cl compounds.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a fundamental IR spectra I did on and HCL/DCL compound. I'm extremely confused how to assign J values. I've been looking online and see R can be 0, 1, 2, 3, etc but P starts at 1,2,3, etc. How did they assign these values?

What I do know
I peaked picks so I know the wave numbers.
I can tell the P branch form the R because as the wave numbers get smaller they get more spread out.
I know the less intense peaks of the doublets are the H37CL or D37CL b/c it is a less common isotope and intensities are based on number of species.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm stuck here too! How do you go from wave numbers to j values. What's the difference between j and j'?

1. What is P CHem HCL/DCL r and p branch J value assignment?

P CHem HCL/DCL r and p branch J value assignment is a process used in spectroscopy to assign the rotational quantum numbers (J values) to different rotational branches in the spectrum of a molecule. This helps in understanding the molecular structure and dynamics.

2. Why is J value assignment important in P CHem HCL/DCL?

J value assignment is important because it helps in identifying the different rotational branches in the spectrum, which provide information about the molecular structure and dynamics. It also allows for accurate determination of molecular constants such as bond lengths, bond angles, and moments of inertia.

3. How is J value assignment done in P CHem HCL/DCL?

J value assignment is done by analyzing the spectral lines of the molecule and using theoretical models to fit the observed data. The rotational energy levels are calculated using quantum mechanical principles, and the corresponding J values are assigned based on their relative energies.

4. What is the difference between r and p branch J value assignment in P CHem HCL/DCL?

The r and p branches refer to different rotational transitions in the spectrum of a molecule. The r branch (or the "right" branch) corresponds to transitions where the rotational quantum number J increases by one, while the p branch (or the "left" branch) corresponds to transitions where J decreases by one.

5. Can J value assignment be used for all types of molecules in P CHem HCL/DCL?

Yes, J value assignment can be used for all types of molecules as long as they have rotational energy levels. However, the methods and techniques used may vary depending on the type of molecule and its symmetry.