P-Series or Comparison Test Question

In summary, the conversation focuses on proving the divergence of the series K≥0 ∑ ((sqrt(k)+2)/(k+5)). The possibility of using the p-series test is discussed, but it is ultimately determined that the direct comparison test may be more appropriate. The concept of throwing away initial terms in a series is also mentioned. The conversation ends with the reminder to have confidence in one's own knowledge and abilities.
RJLiberator
Gold Member
K≥0 ∑ ((sqrt(k)+2)/(k+5))

I am trying to prove that this diverges. The divergence test is inconclusive.
Now I am left with a great option of a comparison test. I'm not quite sure what to compare it with, but I know I need to compare it with something smaller (denominator is larger) that diverges to prove divergence.

While looking at it, I am wondering if this is as simple as using the p-series test and taking off the smaller quantities of 2 and 5 and just using k^(1/2)/k where p would then = 1/2 and prove divergence.

Can I do this with the p-series?

IF not, I need to find something that is in comparison with this to prove divergence. Would k^(1/2)/2k be ok to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Now I am left with a great option of a comparison test. I'm not quite sure what to compare it with, but I know I need to compare it with something smaller (denominator is larger) that diverges to prove divergence.

While looking at it, I am wondering if this is as simple as using the p-series test and taking off the smaller quantities of 2 and 5 and just using k^(1/2)/k where p would then = 1/2 and prove divergence.
This last line of reasoning is good. You care about what the terms do as k gets large, so looking at the dominant terms in the numerator and denominator is a good idea.

For large k, the series looks like ##k^{-1/2}##, so using the limit comparison test with ##k^{-1/2}## might work.

You could also make an argument that the terms of the series are larger than a series of the form ##c/\sqrt{k}## and use the direct comparison test.

IF not, I need to find something that is in comparison with this to prove divergence. Would k^(1/2)/2k be ok to use?
You can't say it's a p-series because it's not of the form ##1/k^p##.

Likes RJLiberator
vela said:
This last line of reasoning is good. You care about what the terms do as k gets large, so looking at the dominant terms in the numerator and denominator is a good idea.

For large k, the series looks like ##k^{-1/2}##, so using the limit comparison test with ##k^{-1/2}## might work.

You could also make an argument that the terms of the series are larger than a series of the form ##c/\sqrt{k}## and use the direct comparison test.You can't say it's a p-series because it's not of the form ##1/k^p##.

Thank you for your help

1) Ah, I cannot say it is a p-series because it is not in correct form. Great information.
2) Limit comparison test seems like a great idea, I may not be able to use it since we will be learning that later in the course.
3) I will need to use the direct comparison test that you pointed out to me. I am going to try this work now.

Thanks.

Since the sum starts at a value of 0 I cannot use k^(-1/2) alone in the denominator.

Can I compare it with c/(sqrt(k+1)) ?

It would be simpler to throw away the first term. In other words, if the sum from k=1 converges, then the sum from k=0 will converge as well because the two series only differ by a finite number of terms.

The reason a series of the form ##c/\sqrt{k}## is nice to have is because it is a p-series, and you can therefore conclude it diverges.

Likes RJLiberator
Ah... That makes sense. Being able to throw away initial 0 as it doesn't really add anything to the convergence/divergence of the sum. Thank you.

RJLiberator said:

You tell us. You need to have some confidence in your own knowledge/abilities.

Likes RJLiberator

1. What is the P-Series Test in mathematics?

The P-Series Test is a convergence test in mathematics used to determine whether an infinite series converges or diverges. It is also known as the p-test or p-series criterion.

2. How is the P-Series Test used to determine convergence or divergence?

The P-Series Test states that if the series ∑(1/n^p) converges, then p must be greater than 1. If p is less than or equal to 1, the series will diverge. This means that if the value of p is greater than 1, the series will converge. If the value of p is less than or equal to 1, the series will diverge.

3. What is the Comparison Test in mathematics?

The Comparison Test is a convergence test in mathematics used to determine whether an infinite series converges or diverges. It involves comparing the given series to a known series with known convergence properties.

4. How is the Comparison Test used to determine convergence or divergence?

The Comparison Test states that if the series ∑a_n and ∑b_n are both infinite series with non-negative terms, and if a_n ≤ b_n for all n and ∑b_n converges, then ∑a_n must also converge. If ∑b_n diverges, then ∑a_n must also diverge.

5. When should the P-Series Test be used over the Comparison Test?

The P-Series Test is specifically used for series of the form ∑(1/n^p), where p is a positive real number. If the given series does not fit this form, the Comparison Test should be used instead. Additionally, the P-Series Test is typically used when p is a known value, while the Comparison Test is used when a_n and b_n have different forms and p is not known.