1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

P-Series or Comparison Test Question

1. Oct 31, 2014 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

K≥0 ∑ ((sqrt(k)+2)/(k+5))

I am trying to prove that this diverges. The divergence test is inconclusive.
    Now I am left with a great option of a comparison test. I'm not quite sure what to compare it with, but I know I need to compare it with something smaller (denominator is larger) that diverges to prove divergence.

While looking at it, I am wondering if this is as simple as using the p-series test and taking off the smaller quantities of 2 and 5 and just using k^(1/2)/k where p would then = 1/2 and prove divergence.

Can I do this with the p-series?

IF not, I need to find something that is in comparison with this to prove divergence. Would k^(1/2)/2k be ok to use?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

This last line of reasoning is good. You care about what the terms do as k gets large, so looking at the dominant terms in the numerator and denominator is a good idea.

For large k, the series looks like ##k^{-1/2}##, so using the limit comparison test with ##k^{-1/2}## might work.

You could also make an argument that the terms of the series are larger than a series of the form ##c/\sqrt{k}## and use the direct comparison test.

You can't say it's a p-series because it's not of the form ##1/k^p##.

4. Oct 31, 2014 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Thank you for your help

1) Ah, I cannot say it is a p-series because it is not in correct form. Great information.
    2) Limit comparison test seems like a great idea, I may not be able to use it since we will be learning that later in the course.
    3) I will need to use the direct comparison test that you pointed out to me. I am going to try this work now.

Thanks.

5. Oct 31, 2014 #4

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Since the sum starts at a value of 0 I cannot use k^(-1/2) alone in the denominator.

Can I compare it with c/(sqrt(k+1)) ?

6. Oct 31, 2014 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It would be simpler to throw away the first term. In other words, if the sum from k=1 converges, then the sum from k=0 will converge as well because the two series only differ by a finite number of terms.

The reason a series of the form ##c/\sqrt{k}## is nice to have is because it is a p-series, and you can therefore conclude it diverges.

7. Oct 31, 2014 #6

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Ah..... That makes sense. Being able to throw away initial 0 as it doesn't really add anything to the convergence/divergence of the sum. Thank you.

8. Oct 31, 2014 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You tell us. You need to have some confidence in your own knowledge/abilities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted