I still don't understand why people think you can fight these fires directly. Short of a literal tsunami, you cannot place enough water on target to fight something like this. Protect evacuation routes, protect the people getting out, defend critical infrastructure if you feel it's actually defensible without risking the lives of the fire fighters... that's what you can do.
There's a movie I'm fond of that has a memorable line... "There are things you can't fight. Acts of God. You see a hurricane coming? You get out of the way." That's what we're facing here, and trying to protect everything of even moderate importance is going to be a failure. They have to triage and protect what has to be protected, no more. They don't have the equipment, supplies, or manpower to do more.
That said, the aerial fight has been going better than I had dared hope. They put in way more flight time and way more drops than I was expecting today given the weather conditions, and that's going to buy vital time for the folks on the ground.