Parachuting inside bales of hay

• Thread starter geoffrey159
  • Start date
In summary: For shallower snow, it would be less constant and more like the weight of the soldier on the surface.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

During World War II the Russians, lacking sufficient
parachutes for airborne operations, occasionally dropped soldiers
inside bales of hay onto snow.
The human body can survive an average pressure on impact of
30 lb/in2 . Suppose that the lead plane drops a dummy bale equal
in weight to a loaded one from an altitude of 150 ft, and that the
pilot observes that it sinks about 2 ft into the snow. If the weight of
an average soldier is 144 lb and his effective area is 5 ft2 , is it safe
to drop the men?

Homework Equations

energy conservation

The Attempt at a Solution

For clarity, I set h1 = 150ft, h2 = 2ft, mg = 144lb, and S = 5lb/ft^2.

Using conservation of energy, the paratrooper's speed just before impact is ##v_i = \sqrt{2gh_1}##.

If ## E_r## is the mechanical energy once the paratrooper is at rest 2ft under snow, ##E_i## the mechanical energy at impact, and ##\vec N## the force of snow on man, then:

##
\left\{
\begin{array}{}
E_r = 0\\
E_i = mg (h_1+h_2) \\
E_r - E_i = \int_{\vec r_{impact}}^{\vec r_{rest}} \vec N.d\vec r
\end{array}
\right.
##

And, because the force of the snow is vertical,

## mg(h_1+h_2) = \int_{0}^{h_2} N(y) dy \approx h_2 N_{av} ##

So the average pressure the paratrooper must resist is

##\frac{N_{av}}{S} = 144*152/(2*5) \ lb/ft^2 = 152/(2*5) \ lb/in^2 = 15.2 \ lb/in^2 < 30 \ lb/in^2##

So yes it is 'safe' (non lethal). Is it correct ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Under the (problematic) assumption that the force is constant over the whole length, and if the airplane magically stops in the air, yes.
I'm sure the Russians used a better unit system.

I agree it is not very realistic :-)
Thank you for the reply !

mfb said:
Under the (problematic) assumption that the force is constant over the whole length, and if the airplane magically stops in the air, yes.
I'm sure the Russians used a better unit system.
Yes, two good points. The horizontal speed might not be a big deal if the bales are round, though of course that leads to the separate question of how great a rotational acceleration is tolerable.
For the constancy of vertical force, I suspect that depends largely on snow depth. For very deep snow it could be fairly constant.

I would say that your solution is logically sound and uses appropriate equations and assumptions. However, it is difficult to determine the accuracy without more specific information, such as the density and compressibility of the snow, the exact weight and distribution of the soldier's equipment, and the exact size and shape of the bales of hay. It may also be important to consider the potential for injury from impact forces, even if the pressure is within a safe range. Overall, while this solution may provide a reasonable estimate, it would likely need to be tested and refined in a controlled experiment before it could be considered definitively correct.

1. What is the purpose of parachuting inside bales of hay?

The purpose of parachuting inside bales of hay is for recreational or training purposes. It can also be used as a method of transportation in remote areas.

2. Is it safe to parachute inside bales of hay?

While there are inherent risks in any type of parachuting activity, parachuting inside bales of hay can be safe when proper precautions are taken. It is important to use high-quality equipment and receive proper training before attempting this activity.

3. How does parachuting inside bales of hay differ from traditional skydiving?

Parachuting inside bales of hay typically involves jumping from a lower height and landing into a soft pile of hay, whereas traditional skydiving involves jumping from a higher altitude and landing on the ground. Parachuting inside bales of hay also requires specialized equipment, such as a larger parachute and protective gear.

4. Can anyone participate in parachuting inside bales of hay?

While there are no specific age or physical requirements for parachuting inside bales of hay, it is recommended that individuals have a certain level of physical fitness and receive proper training before attempting this activity. It is also important to consult with a doctor if you have any underlying medical conditions.

5. Are there any environmental concerns with parachuting inside bales of hay?

Parachuting inside bales of hay can have minimal impact on the environment if proper precautions are taken. It is important to ensure that the hay used is not contaminated with any harmful substances and that the activity is conducted in a responsible manner to avoid damaging the surrounding landscape.