Mechanics question on dropping soldiers

• Thread starter leyyee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the work-energy theorem states that the total work done by gravity and the snow on a human body is equal.
leyyee

Homework Statement

this question is from the book introduction to mechanics.. question 4.12

During the Second World War the Russian, lacking sufficient parachutes for airborne operations, occasionally dropped soldiers inside bales of hay onto snow. The human body can survive an average pressure on impact of 30 lb/in2. Suppose that the lead plane drops a dummy bale equal in weight to a loaded one from an altitude of 150 ft, and that the pilot observes that it sinks about 2 ft into the snow. If the weight of an average soldier is 144 lb and his effective area is 5 ft2, is it safe to drop the men?

Homework Equations

So, I use work-energy theorem to solve it.. but i could not find the later part after this equation..

work-energy equation i got is : Kb-Ka = integration(a,b) (F •dR)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure whether my work energy equation is correct.. So anyone here would like to help me? sorry for trouble.. thx..
maybe anyone of you guys want to give me some hint on it.. thanks alot..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are a number of ways to solve this problem, but if you use the work energy theorem, you've got to include the work done by gravity also. Also, the work done by the snow on the man can be obtained by its average force times the distance through which it acts..no need to integrate if you don't have to. Rather than get confused by the work-energy approach, you might want to try the conservation of total energy principle (Ka + Ua - W_snow = Kb + Ub), where Ka and Kb =0. Or otherwise, find the man's speed as he hits the ground, then his deceleration over the 2 foot snow pit, then the force acting on him per Newton 2, then the pressure.

hey jay thankx.. but i am not really understand why is ka n kb = 0 ?

anyone would like to give me some hint on my question ?

y is kb n ka = 0 from the previous.. thx..

leyyee said:
anyone would like to give me some hint on my question ?

y is kb n ka = 0 from the previous.. thx..
In the absence of other data, this problem is looking in the vertical Y direction only, and ignoring the horizontal motion of the soldier (he would have an initial speed in the X direction due to the plane's horizontal speed). So, I'm assuming this is like a soldier dropped from a cliff rather than an airplane. Point A is the start point; his vertical initial speed is 0, thus Ka = 0. Point B is the end point at 2 feet below the snow; he comes to a stop at that point, thus his speed is also 0 at that point, and thus Kb=0.

wow... i should have thought so..
really thankx for your patience in answering my question..
really thankx alot.. and i found the answer.. thankx...

1. What is the concept of air resistance in mechanics?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. When an object, such as a soldier, is dropped from a height, it experiences air resistance which slows its descent.

2. How does air resistance affect the speed of a falling soldier?

Air resistance increases as the speed of a falling soldier increases. This means that the soldier will experience a greater force of drag at higher speeds, causing them to slow down and reach a terminal velocity.

3. What factors affect the terminal velocity of a falling soldier?

The terminal velocity of a falling soldier is affected by the weight, surface area, and shape of the soldier, as well as the density and viscosity of the air they are falling through.

4. Can a soldier reach a speed faster than their terminal velocity while falling?

No, a soldier cannot reach a speed faster than their terminal velocity while falling. This is because at terminal velocity, the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant speed.

5. How does the location of a soldier's center of mass impact their falling motion?

The location of a soldier's center of mass can affect their falling motion. A soldier with their center of mass closer to their head will tend to have a faster descent, while a soldier with their center of mass closer to their feet will have a slower descent due to their body orientation and distribution of mass.