Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallax error - what type of error is it?

1. Oct 24, 2006 #1
    My friends are having an argument as to whether parallax error is systematic or random error. We have tried looking all around in books/internet etc but nothing mentions what type of error it is. Any help would be appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Hi, Skyglow;
    Welcome to PF. I'm not sure under what circumstances this error is encountered in regard to your question. Parallax simply involves a different viewpoint. If I understand your question correctly, then it is a systematic error, not random. It would mean that the observer and the obsrerved are not in the same spatial relationship during multiple observations.

4. Oct 24, 2006 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Parallax is a systematic error. It should be very repeatable, and can be eliminated with some care.

5. Oct 24, 2006 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  6. Oct 25, 2006 #5
    Lol my friends not completely satisfied. He asks that if the definition of systematic error is always to be off by a fixed amount, how can you repeat parallax error so that it gives the same amount of error for every reading?

7. Oct 26, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

With no offence intended, tell your friend to register his ass on here and question us himself. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?