1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallax error - what type of error is it?

1. Oct 24, 2006 #1
    My friends are having an argument as to whether parallax error is systematic or random error. We have tried looking all around in books/internet etc but nothing mentions what type of error it is. Any help would be appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Hi, Skyglow;
    Welcome to PF. I'm not sure under what circumstances this error is encountered in regard to your question. Parallax simply involves a different viewpoint. If I understand your question correctly, then it is a systematic error, not random. It would mean that the observer and the obsrerved are not in the same spatial relationship during multiple observations.

4. Oct 24, 2006 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Parallax is a systematic error. It should be very repeatable, and can be eliminated with some care.

5. Oct 24, 2006 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  6. Oct 25, 2006 #5
    Lol my friends not completely satisfied. He asks that if the definition of systematic error is always to be off by a fixed amount, how can you repeat parallax error so that it gives the same amount of error for every reading?

7. Oct 26, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

With no offence intended, tell your friend to register his ass on here and question us himself. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?