Errors in Experiment with Low and High Conductivity Materials

john325
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: Trying to understand why there might be errors when using certain materials in a physics lab and how aluminum foil might impact this.

I am looking for assistance on answer these questions.

1) What would likely be a significant source of error in performing this experiment on other materials that have very low thermal conductivities that you would not see for materials that have higher thermal conductivities?

2) What would likely be a significant source of error in performing this experiment on other materials that have very high thermal conductivity that you would not see for materials that have lower thermal conductivities?

and

3) Would there be any advantage to wrapping the Plexiglass and glass samples in aluminum foil like the pine and sheet rock were?

I have been thinking if with a very low conductivity material if that much of the heat is lost by convection, because convection would work quicker on the ice versus conduction. I am not sure if this is an accurate statement. As for a material with very high conductivity, would errors arise in the rapid warming of the ice? How so? Also, for number 3, I am under the assumption that because Plexiglass and glass samples have high conductivities already, if aluminum foil would not offer an advantage but act as an insulator. I have attached the lab set up.

1705709758295.png

Attachments

• Exp 2 - Written Procedure.docx
    891.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
john325 said:
TL;DR Summary: Trying to understand why there might be errors when using certain materials in a physics lab and how aluminum foil might impact this.

I am looking for assistance on answer these questions.

1) What would likely be a significant source of error in performing this experiment on other materials that have very low thermal conductivities that you would not see for materials that have higher thermal conductivities?

2) What would likely be a significant source of error in performing this experiment on other materials that have very high thermal conductivity that you would not see for materials that have lower thermal conductivities?

and

3) Would there be any advantage to wrapping the Plexiglass and glass samples in aluminum foil like the pine and sheet rock were?

I have been thinking if with a very low conductivity material if that much of the heat is lost by convection, because convection would work quicker on the ice versus conduction. I am not sure if this is an accurate statement. As for a material with very high conductivity, would errors arise in the rapid warming of the ice? How so? Also, for number 3, I am under the assumption that because Plexiglass and glass samples have high conductivities already, if aluminum foil would not offer an advantage but act as an insulator. I have attached the lab set up.

View attachment 338866
Hello, @john325 .

:welcome:

You will need to give more details, both in regards to the data you obtain,, the procedures you use to obtain it, what quantities you are ultimately trying to determine and how you determine those quantities from your data. etc.

You have mentioned 4 or the 5 materials.

What are the possible paths for convection?

Looks like you introduce steam from below on the lower surface of your sample and have some form of ice in contact with the upper surface. Lots of questions come to mind here.

As a guess: It looks as though you are trying to maintain a temperature of approximately 100°C on the lower surface and 0°C on the upper surface. I suppose that you then try to measure the rate of ice melt and/or the rate of condensation.

The "V-channel" that collected the melted water - what was it made of? how thick was it? It was touching the ice mold (casing?) wasn't it? was that mold plastic?

What was the steam box made from?
Was its top surface flat, or did it have a huge hole underneath the material sample?

1. What are common errors when conducting experiments with low conductivity materials?

Common errors when conducting experiments with low conductivity materials include inaccurate measurements due to high resistance, improper calibration of equipment, and inadequate shielding from external interference.

2. How can errors be minimized when working with high conductivity materials?

Errors when working with high conductivity materials can be minimized by ensuring proper grounding of equipment, using high-quality connectors and cables, and maintaining a clean and well-maintained experimental setup.

3. What impact do errors in experiments with low conductivity materials have on results?

Errors in experiments with low conductivity materials can lead to inaccurate readings, skewed data, and ultimately incorrect conclusions. It is crucial to identify and address these errors to ensure the validity of the results.

4. How can the effects of errors in experiments with high conductivity materials be mitigated?

The effects of errors in experiments with high conductivity materials can be mitigated by conducting multiple trials, using redundant measurement techniques, and comparing results with established standards or theoretical calculations.

5. What precautions should be taken to prevent errors when working with materials of varying conductivity?

Precautions when working with materials of varying conductivity include proper insulation of conductive surfaces, regular calibration of equipment, and careful handling to avoid introducing external sources of error. Additionally, it is important to document all experimental procedures and data to facilitate error analysis and correction.