Parallel Axis Theorem | Kinetic and Potential Energy

In summary, a rigid body made of three identical rods, each with length L = 0.525 m, forms an H shape and is free to rotate about a horizontal axis. When the body is released from rest in a horizontal position, it will rotate to a vertical position. To find the angular speed at this point, the parallel axis theorem is used to calculate the rotational inertia, which is then used in the equation for conservation of mechanical energy. The correct angular speed is approximately 6.11 rad/s. The conversation also mentions a possible mistake in the calculation of rotational inertia and the use of incorrect symbols for angular speed and translational speed.
Lahooty

Homework Statement

A rigid body is made of three identical rods, each with length L = 0.525 m, fastened together in the form of a letter H, as in Figure 10-56 below. The body is free to rotate about a horizontal axis that runs along the length of one of the legs of the H. The body is allowed to fall from rest from a position in which the plane of the H is horizontal. What is the angular speed of the body when the plane of the H is vertical?

http://www.webassign.net/hrw/10-56.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I_1 = 0

I_2 = m/L∫x^2dx from 0 to L
I_2 = (1/3)*mL^2

I_3 = mL^2

I_total = (4/3)mL^2

E_Mec,Top = E_Mec, Bot

U_T + K_T = U_B + K_B

3*m*g*L + 0 = 0 + (1/2)*Iv^2

3*m*g*L = 1.5*m*L^2*v^2

2*g = L*v^2

[(2*g)/L]^.5 = v

v = 6.11 rad/s

This is wrong I'm pretty sure that I'm calculating the Rotational Inertia incorrectly. I don't know how to use the parallel axis theorem, especially not on three continuous bodies. I know that the formula is:

I = I_com+Mh^2

When I use that to calculate the Inertia, I get:

I_com = 3/2mL^2

I = 3/2mL^2 + 3mL^2
I = 4.5mL^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Lahooty said:
U_T + K_T = U_B + K_B

3*m*g*L + 0 = 0 + (1/2)*Iv^2
Why [itex]3mgL[/itex]? And on the right hand side, the usual symbol for angular speed is [itex]\omega[/itex], not [itex]v[/itex], which is usually taken to mean translational speed.

What is the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is a principle in physics that states the moment of inertia of a rigid body around an axis parallel to its center of mass is equal to the moment of inertia around the center of mass plus the mass of the body multiplied by the square of the distance between the two axes.

How is the Parallel Axis Theorem used in calculating kinetic energy?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is used in calculating the rotational kinetic energy of a rigid body by considering the moment of inertia around the axis of rotation. This is important in understanding the motion and stability of rotating objects.

What is the relationship between potential energy and the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The Parallel Axis Theorem can also be used to calculate the potential energy of a rotating object. This is because the potential energy of an object is related to its position and the moment of inertia plays a role in determining the position of the object's center of mass.

How is the Parallel Axis Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Parallel Axis Theorem has many practical applications in engineering and physics. It is used in designing and analyzing rotating machinery, such as engines and turbines, as well as in understanding the stability and motion of objects in space.

Are there any limitations to the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The Parallel Axis Theorem assumes that the rigid body is rotating around a fixed axis and that the axis is parallel to the body's center of mass. It also assumes that the body is rigid and has a constant moment of inertia. These assumptions may not hold true in all real-world situations, so the theorem may not provide accurate results in those cases.