1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel Axis Theorem | Kinetic and Potential Energy

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rigid body is made of three identical rods, each with length L = 0.525 m, fastened together in the form of a letter H, as in Figure 10-56 below. The body is free to rotate about a horizontal axis that runs along the length of one of the legs of the H. The body is allowed to fall from rest from a position in which the plane of the H is horizontal. What is the angular speed of the body when the plane of the H is vertical?

http://www.webassign.net/hrw/10-56.gif

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I_1 = 0

I_2 = m/L∫x^2dx from 0 to L
    I_2 = (1/3)*mL^2

I_3 = mL^2

I_total = (4/3)mL^2

E_Mec,Top = E_Mec, Bot

U_T + K_T = U_B + K_B

3*m*g*L + 0 = 0 + (1/2)*Iv^2

3*m*g*L = 1.5*m*L^2*v^2

2*g = L*v^2

[(2*g)/L]^.5 = v

v = 6.11 rad/s

This is wrong I'm pretty sure that I'm calculating the Rotational Inertia incorrectly. I don't know how to use the parallel axis theorem, especially not on three continuous bodies. I know that the formula is:

I = I_com+Mh^2

When I use that to calculate the Inertia, I get:

I_com = 3/2mL^2

I = 3/2mL^2 + 3mL^2
    I = 4.5mL^2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2013 #2

tms

Why [itex]3mgL[/itex]? And on the right hand side, the usual symbol for angular speed is [itex]\omega[/itex], not [itex]v[/itex], which is usually taken to mean translational speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted