Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Parallel universes and randomness

1. Dec 13, 2015 #1
    As you might know there is no such thing as true randomness, which means everything happens for a reason. Let's say everything with the exactly same input will always return the exactly same output if you repeat it, no matter if there is a computer or a human being. Much might seem random, but that's only because you are unable to predict it.

When it comes to parallel universes, I don't see how anything can happen differently there. Let's assume all the parallel universes had the same start. Then, at least for me, it is only logical that all the parallel universes was exactly the same (well, if they even exist). The reason I am posting this in this forum category is because I am talking about the Many Worlds theory, which involves quantum physics.

This is some sort of a theory, I guess. Even though I am not sure I fully understand quantum physics, does what I am saying make sense?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2015 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Unfortunately that's not correct. Laplace was wrong when he suggested centuries ago that if we knew the exact position and velocity of every particle in the universe at some moment we would be able to calculate the future. He would have been right if the universe obeyed the laws of classical physics, but it doesn't. It obeys the rules of qantum meachanics, and "true randomness", meaning that two identically prepared systems in exactly the same initial state will randomly evolve in different ways, is a basic part of those rules.
    The "parallel universes" of the Many Worlds interpretation (not "theory"!) aren't what you're thinking they are. They can't all have the same start - a new one with a new and different start appears every time that the true randomness of quantum mechanics produces a different result.

This thread is closed, as it is on the wrong side of the Physics Forums rule about personal theories and speculation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook