Counterfactual quantum computation on interferometer

In summary, the topic being discussed is about a video by Sabine Hossenfelder, in which it is argued that the photon "knows" something in advance due to its interaction with a beam splitter. This is compared to a loop of pipe with valves and a pump, where the flow of water can be determined by measuring the pressure. However, the concept becomes "mystical" when only classical particle behavior is considered and the wave function is ignored. This is further explained through the Elitzur-Vaidman bomb test.
artis
I watched a video on the topic by Sabine Hossenfelder.
Now it is said by many that this proves the photon "knows" something in advance because a certain state of a certain beam splitter can be probed in theory without the photon ever encountering that beam splitter because it took another path. The reason it took another path is also exactly because of the state of that beam splitter that it "probed" without actually probing it.

Now maybe I have got this wrong but what is so exotic in all of this?
Isn't this analogous to for example a loop of pipe with a pump and two parallel valves with different diameters.
If the water flows in such loop and I randomly close either of the valves the water then simply takes the route through the other open valve but given their different diameter I can know which path the water took by simply measuring the pressure before the valve.
So in this loop the "detector" would be a pressure sensor while in the quantum example the detector is a light detector and water is a laser beam and valves are beam splitters.

Now you might say that my valves are different diameter and that gives it away, but in the quantum example I think that translates into the angles and positions of the beam splitters , because only certain beam paths create constructive interference and therefore hit the detector.
So why is this then considered something "mystical" ?

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting analogy with pipes.

The reason why is this considered "mystical" is because some people try to explain what's going on by thinking only in terms of a classical particle, without taking into account the wave function.

See also Elitzur-Vaidman bomb: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitzur–Vaidman_bomb_tester

Likes DrChinese and vanhees71

1. What is counterfactual quantum computation on interferometer?

Counterfactual quantum computation on interferometer is a theoretical concept in quantum computing where computations are performed without physically interacting with a quantum system. Instead, the computation is carried out by measuring the interference patterns of photons passing through an interferometer.

2. How does counterfactual quantum computation on interferometer work?

In counterfactual quantum computation on interferometer, photons are used to represent qubits and are sent through a series of beam splitters and mirrors in an interferometer. The interference patterns produced by the photons are then measured to perform computations without directly interacting with the qubits.

3. What are the potential applications of counterfactual quantum computation on interferometer?

One potential application of counterfactual quantum computation on interferometer is in quantum communication, where it could be used to securely transmit information without physically sending quantum particles. It could also have applications in quantum cryptography and quantum error correction.

4. What are the challenges in implementing counterfactual quantum computation on interferometer?

One of the main challenges in implementing counterfactual quantum computation on interferometer is maintaining the coherence of the photons as they pass through the interferometer. Any external noise or disturbance can disrupt the interference patterns and affect the accuracy of the computation.

5. Is counterfactual quantum computation on interferometer possible in practice?

At the moment, counterfactual quantum computation on interferometer is still a theoretical concept and has not been demonstrated in a practical setting. However, recent advancements in quantum technology have made it a possibility in the near future.