Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametrization vs. coordinate system

1. Feb 5, 2010 #1
    I am reading Differential Topology by Guillemin and Pollack.

Definition: X in RN is a k-dimensional manifold if it is locally diffeomorphic to Rk.

Suppose U is an open subset of Rk and V is a neighborhood of a point x in X.
    A diffeomorphism f:U->V is called a parametrization of the neighborhood V.

The inverse mapping f-1:V->U is called a coordinate system.

Why is f a parametrization and its inverse a coordinate system? How do these terms fit in the big picture of manifolds?

I understand that we are rewriting V in X into a new coordinate system in Rk, that is easier to work with as oppose to some abstract space X. I not to sure of how to interpret the parametrization f.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2
    Think of it as follows:

By coordinate map one means a mapping that specifies coordinate values for each point in your manifold M. So it would go in the direction M -> R^m

Think of a path in M parametrized by a real number. It is represented as a mapping in the direction R -> M. Similarly, a parametrization of a surface in M could be a mapping R^2 -> M. A parametrization of a whole m-dimensional set in M would be a mapping of the type R^m -> M, exactly opposite to the coordinate mapping.

I didn't bother to specify subsets etc. above, just wanted to illustrate why a parametrization is a mapping from some R^m into M. But maybe you already understood this, and wondered about something else? Sorry about not using your terminology, I just wrote like I'm used to.

Torquil

4. Feb 5, 2010 #3
    In my reading I got confuse with this definition:

Definition: [tex]X[/tex] in [tex]R^N[/tex] is a k-dimensional manifold if it is locally diffeomorphic to [tex]R^k[/tex]; meaning that each point [tex]x\in X[/tex] possesses a neighborhood [tex]V[/tex] in [tex]X[/tex] which is diffeomorphic to an open subset [tex]U[/tex] of [tex]R^k[/tex]. Is it necessary for [tex]U[/tex] to be open?

If [tex]U[/tex] was not open, we can use a local extension to define a smooth map?

5. Feb 6, 2010 #4
    Neighborhoods are by definition open. It couldn't be homeomorphic to anything but an open subset of R^k.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook