Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Paris shooting and explosion kills at least 140

1. Nov 13, 2015 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2015 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just saw it on the news. Poor France. Our thoughts are with you.

4. Nov 13, 2015 #3
    46 dead 100 held hostage. Sickening

5. Nov 13, 2015 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The French president has declared a state of emergency for the entire country.

6. Nov 13, 2015 #5

DrClaude

There appears to have been 5 or 6 coordinated attacks.

7. Nov 13, 2015 #6

fresh_42

Just wrote on fb today: It's a funny thing to almost simultaneously debate from Europe with someone from the US, another one from Australia and many whereever they're from. Internet made this globe into a living room and math its common language. Then I turned on the news ...

8. Nov 13, 2015 #7
    Horrific news. Stay strong France!

AFP tweets:

9. Nov 13, 2015 #8

nsaspook

Science Advisor

10. Nov 13, 2015 #9
    118 confirmed dead. How does this change France and or Europe?

11. Nov 13, 2015 #10

fresh_42

CNN has already 149.
    I really fear that nationalists in several countries will gain intakes. In Germany this year alone we have est. 1 million refugees mainly from Syria, Afghanistan and Somalia. These are mainly Muslims and those terror attacks don't do them a favor. Plus several countries already started to reestablish their border controls within the Schengen area. It can also not be ruled out that France will heavily strike back on ISIL which will raise the number of civil casualties in Syria, too.

12. Nov 13, 2015 #11
    This is terrible! My thoughts go to the families of those killed .

13. Nov 13, 2015 #12
    Thoughts and prayers go out to France.

We support you.

14. Nov 13, 2015 #13

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I was working late tonight and just caught this on the news in the car on the way home.

It's such a horrible tragedy. I had the opportunity to visit Paris once - a beautiful city. I think this hits home for so many people because Paris is a centre of culture and art. It's a destination that people dream of visiting. And a city that a lot of westerners have historical ties to.

The UN climate change conference is supposed to happen there in a few weeks. I hope that this isn't derailed.

15. Nov 13, 2015 #14

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sucks. Maybe Europeans, mostly the French, could gain something by studying the US case, where Muslims seem to have successfully integrated into society to a greater degree than in Europe.

16. Nov 14, 2015 #15

Evo

I'm going to bed, but do you have any idea what the difference is in the percentage of Muslims to the overall population is between the US and France and the size of the countries?

17. Nov 14, 2015 #16

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In Europe, it is estimated 42 million Muslims, around 6.7% of total, in U.S, it is estimated to be between 4.4 and 6-7 million, between 1.34% and 2.2%. Yes , percentage is smaller in U.S, but around 5 million seems large-enough to have an impact if there was a large percentage of alienated population, specially in areas with higher concentration. France's % is around 7 . In France, the UK, there is the additional issue that some of them come from former colonies.
    Source: World Almanac and Book of Facts, 2015.

18. Nov 14, 2015 #17

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Muslim is a pretty broad religious category. I think it might be beneficial to not look at Muslims as a whole, but certain ethnic groups.

19. Nov 14, 2015 #18
    153 dead according to CNN ,maybe the ISIS(or other terrorist organizations) managed to send some of their terrorists into Europe under the guise of refugees ?

20. Nov 14, 2015 #19

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

21. Nov 14, 2015 #20
    That may well be the case. It's too soon to tell. However, it doesn't have to be, it's more likely that the terrorists were European born. Thousands of French and European born muslims have travelled to the middle east to join ISIS. The Charlie Hebdo attackers as well as 3 of the 4 7/7 bombings terrorists were born in Europe (the fourth was a Jamaican born convert). As far as ISIS is concerned, it's far easier to recruit among radicalised European muslims than go through the trouble of sending a group from the ME.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook