1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial fractions - having 1 in the numerator?

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1
    This is probably a "basic" question, but I can't seem to remember how to do partial fractions problems where there is only a 1 in the numerator.

For example (just making this up), let's say I have:

1/s(s+4)(s+5)

So what I'd do is 1/s(s+4)(s+5) = A/s + B/(s+4) + C/(s+5) as one would expect, but this can't be right, correct? It seems a lot of coefficients don't "work out."

For example, after doing cross multiplications and combining terms, you would basically get:

For s^2 terms: (A+B+C) = 0 [1]
    For s terms: (6A + 5B + 4C) = 0 [2]
    For no-s terms: 5A = 1 [3]

Then putting [3]--> [1], then getting B=-C - 1/5, and putting that in [2]. You'll end up with A being equal to 1/5, and C being equal to -1/5. Plug this all into [1], so then that means B is equal to zero. What am I missing here? Is this right?

Matlab says it should be C=-1 and B=1, which means that A is zero then? Huh? I am pretty confused.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have decomposed the expression correctly, but have made a mistake in your work. Not only that, but the results you reported from Matlab are wrong, too.
    Your equation [1] is correct, equations [2] and [3] are wrong. The coefficient for the s terms is 9A + 5B + 4C, and for the constant term, the coefficient is 20.

So the three equations are:
    Code (Text):

A + B + C = 0
    9A + 5B + 4C = 0
    20A = 1

From these, you should get A = 1/20, B = -1/4, and C = 1/5
    Mark

4. Oct 8, 2008 #3
    Thanks Mark.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook