Partial fractions - having 1 in the numerator?

In summary, the conversation discusses partial fractions problems with a 1 in the numerator and how to decompose them correctly. The individual is confused about some calculations and also mentions the results from a Matlab program. Ultimately, it is concluded that the individual made a mistake in their work and the correct coefficients for the s and constant terms are 9A + 5B + 4C and 20, respectively. The equations are then solved to determine the values of A, B, and C.
paul34
This is probably a "basic" question, but I can't seem to remember how to do partial fractions problems where there is only a 1 in the numerator.

For example (just making this up), let's say I have:

1/s(s+4)(s+5)

So what I'd do is 1/s(s+4)(s+5) = A/s + B/(s+4) + C/(s+5) as one would expect, but this can't be right, correct? It seems a lot of coefficients don't "work out."

For example, after doing cross multiplications and combining terms, you would basically get:

For s^2 terms: (A+B+C) = 0 [1]
For s terms: (6A + 5B + 4C) = 0 [2]
For no-s terms: 5A = 1 [3]

Then putting [3]--> [1], then getting B=-C - 1/5, and putting that in [2]. You'll end up with A being equal to 1/5, and C being equal to -1/5. Plug this all into [1], so then that means B is equal to zero. What am I missing here? Is this right?

Matlab says it should be C=-1 and B=1, which means that A is zero then? Huh? I am pretty confused.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
paul34 said:
This is probably a "basic" question, but I can't seem to remember how to do partial fractions problems where there is only a 1 in the numerator.

For example (just making this up), let's say I have:

1/s(s+4)(s+5)

So what I'd do is 1/s(s+4)(s+5) = A/s + B/(s+4) + C/(s+5) as one would expect, but this can't be right, correct? It seems a lot of coefficients don't "work out."

For example, after doing cross multiplications and combining terms, you would basically get:

For s^2 terms: (A+B+C) = 0 [1]
For s terms: (6A + 5B + 4C) = 0 [2]
For no-s terms: 5A = 1 [3]

Then putting [3]--> [1], then getting B=-C - 1/5, and putting that in [2]. You'll end up with A being equal to 1/5, and C being equal to -1/5. Plug this all into [1], so then that means B is equal to zero. What am I missing here? Is this right?

Matlab says it should be C=-1 and B=1, which means that A is zero then? Huh? I am pretty confused.

You have decomposed the expression correctly, but have made a mistake in your work. Not only that, but the results you reported from Matlab are wrong, too.
Your equation [1] is correct, equations [2] and [3] are wrong. The coefficient for the s terms is 9A + 5B + 4C, and for the constant term, the coefficient is 20.

So the three equations are:
Code:
A + B + C = 0
9A + 5B + 4C = 0
20A = 1

From these, you should get A = 1/20, B = -1/4, and C = 1/5
Mark

Thanks Mark.

1. What is a partial fraction with a 1 in the numerator?

A partial fraction with a 1 in the numerator is a rational function that can be expressed as a sum of simpler fractions, where the numerator of each fraction is a constant term (in this case, 1). It is used in integration and algebraic manipulation to simplify complex expressions.

2. How do you solve a partial fraction with a 1 in the numerator?

To solve a partial fraction with a 1 in the numerator, you first factor the denominator of the rational function. Then, you set up a system of equations using the coefficients of the fractions in the partial fraction decomposition. Finally, you solve the system of equations to find the values of the constants in the decomposition.

3. What are the steps for finding a partial fraction with a 1 in the numerator?

The steps for finding a partial fraction with a 1 in the numerator are as follows:

1. Factor the denominator of the rational function.
  2. Set up a system of equations using the coefficients of the fractions in the partial fraction decomposition.
  3. Solve the system of equations to find the values of the constants in the decomposition.

4. Can a partial fraction with a 1 in the numerator be simplified?

Yes, a partial fraction with a 1 in the numerator can be simplified. After finding the values of the constants in the decomposition, you can combine like terms and simplify the resulting expression to make it more concise.

5. What are some applications of partial fractions with a 1 in the numerator?

Partial fractions with a 1 in the numerator are commonly used in integration and algebraic manipulation to simplify complex expressions. They can also be used in solving differential equations, evaluating improper integrals, and performing inverse Laplace transforms.