Particle annihilation in quantum vacuum

In summary, it is well known that when a pair of particles come together they will annihilate and emit two photons. However, quantum foam is much smaller than collision cross-sections and so this doesn't happen.
pabloxd43
Well this is a doubt that comes from some time ago and I haven't found the answer on the net. Quantum fluctuations in quantum vacuum create particle-antiparticle pairs for very short periods of time satisfying ΔEΔt≥[itex]\frac{\hslash}{2}[/itex] It is very well known that when a pair particle-antiparticle come together annihilate and emite two photons. What happens exactly in quantum foam, why does't this happen. Do they disappear too fast for even annihilating?

By the way sorry for my english I'm from Spain :D

Physics news on Phys.org
ΔEΔt ≥ ½ℏ is not correct, although is often stated as fact. Given two observables A and E, where E is the system's energy and A,E are non-commuting. The "spread" of the observable can be characterized by its standard deviation σ. Hence σe * σa/|(d<A>/dt)| ≥ ½ℏ for non-relativistic Quantum Mechanics. The equivalent expression which you have learned as Δxᵢ* Δpᵢ ≥ ½ℏ is actually σxᵢ * σpᵢ ≥ ½ℏ, so as long as you accept the idea that 'uncertainty' equals the standard deviation, the position (x) momentum (p) uncertainty principle holds. It is not equivalent with time, however.
"It is very well known that when a pair particle-antiparticle come together annihilate and emit two photons."
This is one of many possibilities, any pair of particle+antiparticle can be emitted iff the annihilation contains enough energy to make the rest mass of the pair. This means that while massless particles (such as the photon) are 'easiest' to make, as the annihilating pair get more massive (or more energetic), it becomes possible to create neutrino-antineutrino pairs, electron-positron pairs, and even proton-antiproton pairs (etc.).
Quantum foam is much much smaller than collision cross-sections, what leads you to believe it doesn't happen at that scale? see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_foam where annihilation is discussed in the foam.

Thanks a lot for answering. I'm still introducing myself into physics, I'm only 15 years old, so I didn't catch most of the things you said so I will reread it again ;)

I wrote it a little bit fast last night and I'm new to this blog so I'm not very used to formalism. Could you recommend me a good book which explains all this?

1. What is particle annihilation in quantum vacuum?

Particle annihilation in quantum vacuum refers to the process in which a particle and its corresponding antiparticle collide and disappear, releasing energy in the form of photons.

2. How does particle annihilation occur in quantum vacuum?

In quantum vacuum, particles and antiparticles are constantly popping in and out of existence due to the uncertainty principle. When a particle and its antiparticle collide, they can annihilate each other, resulting in the release of energy in the form of photons.

3. What is the significance of particle annihilation in quantum vacuum?

Particle annihilation in quantum vacuum is a fundamental process in the subatomic world. It helps explain the behavior of particles and energy in the vacuum and is also important in fields such as quantum field theory and particle physics.

4. Can particle annihilation in quantum vacuum be observed?

No, particle annihilation in quantum vacuum cannot be observed directly since it occurs on a subatomic scale. However, its effects can be observed through experiments and calculations in fields such as quantum field theory.

5. Is particle annihilation in quantum vacuum a reversible process?

Yes, particle annihilation in quantum vacuum is a reversible process. Just as particles and antiparticles can annihilate each other, photons can also collide and produce a particle-antiparticle pair. This process is known as particle creation in quantum vacuum.