Vacuum fluctuations - possible stupid question

In summary, this person's understanding of vacuum fluctuations is conceptual, and there are questions about what happens to the photons from virtual positronium annihilation events.
Tim Gillespie
My background is in Health Physics and as such, I have had only rudimentary instruction in quantum mechanics, so my understanding (such as it is) is largely conceptual. With that in mind, this may be a very ignorant question, so I apologize in advance.

I understand the theoretical basis for vacuum fluctuations and I understand the implications like the Casimir effect and Hawking radiation. However, one large piece of my understanding is missing. In simple terms, an electron, for example, may interact with a positronium virtual particle, which will very quickly annihilate. This is a "virtual" interaction and can only be detected indirectly by the effects mentioned above and others. So far, so good. My question is - what happens to the annihilation photons? Shouldn't the universe be awash with 511 keV photons from virtual positronium annihilation events? Clearly it is not, and the fault is with my understanding of vacuum fluctuations.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Real electron-positron pair has energy 2x511 keV's or more. But virtual electron-positron pair does not need to have that energy. Their total energy may even be zero, as one of them may have negative energy. A real particle cannot have negative energy, but a virtual one can.

That being said, I would also add that Casimir and Hawking effects cannot be well described in terms of virtual particles. Both effects are related to quantum fluctuations, but the concept of quantum fluctuations is much more general than the concept of virtual particles.

Likes BvU
Tim Gillespie said:
My question is - what happens to the annihilation photons?

A virtual electron-positron pair doesn't have to be created from a pair of photons or annihilate into a pair of photons. If you're familiar with Feynman diagrams, imagine a diagram that's just a circle: an isolated loop consisting of one electron/positron line. Viewed as a sequence of "time slices", this looks like an electron/positron pair popping out of the vacuum, then annihilating back into the vacuum, without interacting with anything else.

A. Neumaier said:
To improve your understanding of vacuum fluctuations

I suggest 'To debunk your (mis)understanding ...' ;-)

At least it was that result for me. Where there was misconception, there is now a big question mark. I guess that is progress.

Likes Demystifier

1. What are vacuum fluctuations?

Vacuum fluctuations are temporary changes in the energy of a vacuum, which is the lowest possible energy state of a quantum mechanical system.

2. Are vacuum fluctuations real or just theoretical concepts?

Vacuum fluctuations are real and have been observed in experiments, although their effects are very small and difficult to measure.

3. How do vacuum fluctuations affect the behavior of particles?

Vacuum fluctuations can cause particles to spontaneously appear and disappear, and can also slightly alter the properties of particles such as their mass and charge.

4. Can vacuum fluctuations be harnessed for practical use?

At this time, there are no known practical applications for vacuum fluctuations. However, research into their properties may lead to future technologies.

5. Can vacuum fluctuations explain the creation of the universe?

While vacuum fluctuations can play a role in the early universe, they are not the sole explanation for the creation of the universe. The exact origins of the universe are still a topic of ongoing scientific research and debate.