Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Particle distribution as a function of radius in astrophysics

1. Jan 19, 2017 #1

MMS

Hello everyone,

I am working on a project in astrophysics in which I need to include now some type of particle distribution (as a function of the radius).
    I was wondering if there is some accepted function that would describe the number of particles per radius in astrophysics. Saturn's rings would make a perfect example for what I'm trying to do. So say for Saturn's rings, is there anything known about the distribution or the density of particles (as a function of the radius) in it?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2017 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to describe the case you are looking at. Radius of what?

4. Jan 21, 2017 #3

MMS

Hello and thanks for the reply.

The radius I'm talking about is the distance from the central object.

I want to know if there exists some general type of model or function which describes the number of particles orbiting a central body as a function of how far they are from it. For example, say we have a central body and we have particles orbiting it, then at a distance of r1 from it there are A particles, at a distance r2 there are B particles (A and B are the number of particles) and so on. That's why I took Saturn's rings as an example.

I hope I was clearer now.

5. Jan 21, 2017 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There is not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted