Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle in a box with one finite wall and one infinite wall

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    Hello all, I came across what I think is a very interesting question the other day;

How would you treat a particle trapped in a square well that had one finite wall and one infinite wall? Say for En~(n*pi*(h-bar))2/(2m(L+2d)2) would you replace the 2d by 1d? As you can only find the infinite 'wall' outside one of the walls? And what affects would it have on other areas, in comparison to either a normal finite square well or an infinite one?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Treat it as a finite wall and take only the odd solutions.

4. Apr 14, 2010 #3

SpectraCat

Science Advisor

I don't understand what you are describing ... are you talking about an infinite well with a narrower finite well at the bottom? Are you talking about a case where, say, the left hand wall is infinite and the right hand wall is finite? Or something else altogether?

5. Apr 14, 2010 #4
    So you could think of it similar to a closed cylinder air column, with a node at the closed end (infinite wall) and an antinode at the open end (finite wall)?

6. Apr 14, 2010 #5
    That is exactly what I mean, sorry if my explanation was ambiguous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook