Particle in a box with one finite wall and one infinite wall

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
EnSlavingBlair
Messages
34
Reaction score
2
Hello all, I came across what I think is a very interesting question the other day;

How would you treat a particle trapped in a square well that had one finite wall and one infinite wall? Say for En~(n*pi*(h-bar))2/(2m(L+2d)2) would you replace the 2d by 1d? As you can only find the infinite 'wall' outside one of the walls? And what affects would it have on other areas, in comparison to either a normal finite square well or an infinite one?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Treat it as a finite wall and take only the odd solutions.
 
nSlavingBlair said:
Hello all, I came across what I think is a very interesting question the other day;

How would you treat a particle trapped in a square well that had one finite wall and one infinite wall? Say for En~(n*pi*(h-bar))2/(2m(L+2d)2) would you replace the 2d by 1d? As you can only find the infinite 'wall' outside one of the walls? And what affects would it have on other areas, in comparison to either a normal finite square well or an infinite one?


I don't understand what you are describing ... are you talking about an infinite well with a narrower finite well at the bottom? Are you talking about a case where, say, the left hand wall is infinite and the right hand wall is finite? Or something else altogether?
 
So you could think of it similar to a closed cylinder air column, with a node at the closed end (infinite wall) and an antinode at the open end (finite wall)?
 
SpectraCat said:
Are you talking about a case where, say, the left hand wall is infinite and the right hand wall is finite?

That is exactly what I mean, sorry if my explanation was ambiguous.