Particle in a triangular potential well

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the wave function and allowed energies for a particle in an isosceles right-angled triangle potential well. The potential function is determined to be V(x)=|x| and the resulting solution for the wave function is \psi(x)=C_1\text{Ai}((\frac{2m}{\hbar^2})^{\frac{1}{3}}(x-E)). The energies are found to be E_n=-a'_{n+1} for even n and E_n=-a_{n+1} for odd n. However, there is an issue with the units in the solutions.
masterjoda

Homework Statement

Particle is in a potential well in the shape of a isosceles right-angled triangle. Need to find the wave function and allowed energies.

Homework Equations

How to determinate a boundaries for the potential when that line is in a form of some linear function, there is no strict point between potential equal to zero and infinity potential.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried potential as [itex]kx[/itex] for [itex]0<x<\frac{a}{2}[/itex], and [itex]-kx[/itex] for [itex]\frac{a}{2}<x<a[/itex], but seems that is not right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Plot your potential function. Is it a well? Write up a potential function which has minimum at x=0. ehild

Last edited:
This plot of potential function

Attachments

• V(x).jpg
    V(x).jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 612
Your function is not the same as the plot. -kx is negative in the range a/2<x<a

By the way, the drawing shows a hill instead of a well.

ehild

Storry, like this

Attachments

• V(x).jpg
    V(x).jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 657
That is better. What is the potential function?

ehild

That is my main problem, I don't know how to write it, I know that potential is zero inside and ∞ outside, that green area is unreachable for the particle.

You know the equation of a straight line? You have a straight line for 0<x<a/2 which intersects the x-axis at x=a/2, and makes -45° angle with it. And you have an other equation for a/2<x<a, that encloses a positive angle of 45° with the x axis.

ehild

masterjoda said:
there is no strict point between potential equal to zero and infinity potential.
What is this supposed to mean?

masterjoda said:
That is my main problem, I don't know how to write it, I know that potential is zero inside and ∞ outside, that green area is unreachable for the particle.
The potential isn't zero inside. It varies with x.

If you want to make things a bit simpler, take ehild's suggestion to center the well at x=0.

vela said:
The potential isn't zero inside. It varies with x.

Yes, exactly.

If I center the well at x=0 then I have a function

[itex]V(x)=
\begin{cases}
-x & \text{for } -\frac{a}{2}<x < 0 \\
x & \text{for } 0 < x < \frac{a}{2} \\
0 & \text{for } x=0\\
\infty & \text{elsewhere}
\end{cases}[/itex]

Last edited:
Looks good. Now what?

I need to find ψ and allowed energies inside the well.

Well, we're not here to do your homework for you. Show us your work. What do you have so far?

I've just realized that the right potential is [itex]V(x)=\left | x \right | \text{for } x\in \left \{ -\infty, \infty \right \}[/itex]

Last edited:
So far I have this:

[itex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\mathrm{d^2}\psi }{\mathrm{d} x^2} + |x|\psi=E\psi[/itex]

[itex]c=\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}[/itex] and [itex]k=\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{k}[/itex]

solution is [itex]\psi(x)=C_1\text{Ai}(\frac{cx-k^2}{c^{\frac{2}{3}}})+C_2\text{Bi}(\frac{cx-k^2}{c^{\frac{2}{3}}})[/itex] because x is always > 0, Bi goes to ∞ so C_2 have to be 0. And final solution is [itex]\psi(x)=C_1\text{Ai}((\frac{2m}{\hbar^2})^{\frac{1}{3}}(x-E))[/itex]. I've determined the energy from conditions [itex]\psi^{(1)}_n=\psi^{(2)}_n[/itex] and [itex]\psi'^{(1)}_n=\psi'^{(2)}_n[/itex]. And energies are: for even [itex]E_n=-a'_{n+1}[/itex] and for the odd [itex]E_n=-a_{n+1}[/itex]. Normalization is a bit tricky [itex]C_1^2\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \text{Ai}^2(x-E_n)dx=1[/itex], I don't know how to solve this integral.

Last edited:
Your solutions don't work out unit-wise. For example, you can't subtract E from x. They don't have the same units.

Yes they do, potential at x have the same value as the x coordinate, V(x)=|x|, unit of that x is the same as the unit of E.

1. What is a particle in a triangular potential well?

A particle in a triangular potential well is a theoretical model in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a particle confined to a triangular-shaped potential well. This model is often used to understand the properties of atoms, molecules, and other small particles.

2. How does a particle behave in a triangular potential well?

In a triangular potential well, a particle will behave like a wave, with its energy and position determined by the shape and depth of the well. The particle will experience oscillations within the well, with the highest probability of being found at the bottom of the well.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a particle in a triangular potential well?

The behavior of a particle in a triangular potential well is affected by several factors, including the depth and shape of the well, the mass of the particle, and the quantum state of the particle. Additionally, external forces such as electric or magnetic fields can also influence the behavior of the particle.

4. What are some real-world applications of a particle in a triangular potential well?

The concept of a particle in a triangular potential well has many practical applications, such as in the design of semiconductors and semiconductor devices, the study of crystal structures, and the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules. It is also used in the field of nanotechnology to understand and manipulate the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale.

5. How does a particle in a triangular potential well differ from a particle in a rectangular potential well?

While both models describe the behavior of a particle in a confined potential well, a triangular potential well is asymmetric and has a varying depth, while a rectangular potential well is symmetrical and has a constant depth. This leads to different behaviors and energy levels for the particle in each type of well.