1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle in a triangular potential well

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Particle is in a potential well in the shape of a isosceles right-angled triangle. Need to find the wave function and allowed energies.

2. Relevant equations
    How to determinate a boundaries for the potential when that line is in a form of some linear function, there is no strict point between potential equal to zero and infinity potential.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried potential as [itex]kx[/itex] for [itex]0<x<\frac{a}{2}[/itex], and [itex]-kx[/itex] for [itex]\frac{a}{2}<x<a[/itex], but seems that is not right.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Plot your potential function. Is it a well? Write up a potential function which has minimum at x=0.

ehild

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. Feb 13, 2012 #3
    This plot of potential function

Attached Files:

5. Feb 13, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your function is not the same as the plot. -kx is negative in the range a/2<x<a

By the way, the drawing shows a hill instead of a well.

ehild

6. Feb 13, 2012 #5
    Storry, like this

Attached Files:

7. Feb 14, 2012 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is better. What is the potential function?

ehild

8. Feb 14, 2012 #7
    That is my main problem, I don't know how to write it, I know that potential is zero inside and ∞ outside, that green area is unreachable for the particle.

9. Feb 14, 2012 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know the equation of a straight line? You have a straight line for 0<x<a/2 which intersects the x axis at x=a/2, and makes -45° angle with it. And you have an other equation for a/2<x<a, that encloses a positive angle of 45° with the x axis.

ehild

10. Feb 14, 2012 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What is this supposed to mean?

The potential isn't zero inside. It varies with x.

If you want to make things a bit simpler, take ehild's suggestion to center the well at x=0.

11. Feb 15, 2012 #10
    Yes, exactly.

If I center the well at x=0 then I have a function

[itex]V(x)=
    \begin{cases}
    -x & \text{for } -\frac{a}{2}<x < 0 \\
    x & \text{for } 0 < x < \frac{a}{2} \\
    0 & \text{for } x=0\\
    \infty & \text{elsewhere}
    \end{cases}[/itex]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  12. Feb 15, 2012 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Looks good. Now what?

13. Feb 16, 2012 #12
    I need to find ψ and allowed energies inside the well.

14. Feb 16, 2012 #13

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Well, we're not here to do your homework for you. Show us your work. What do you have so far?

15. Feb 16, 2012 #14
    I've just realized that the right potential is [itex]V(x)=\left | x \right | \text{for } x\in \left \{ -\infty, \infty \right \}[/itex]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  16. Feb 16, 2012 #15
    So far I have this:

[itex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\mathrm{d^2}\psi }{\mathrm{d} x^2} + |x|\psi=E\psi[/itex]

[itex]c=\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}[/itex] and [itex]k=\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{k}[/itex]

solution is [itex]\psi(x)=C_1\text{Ai}(\frac{cx-k^2}{c^{\frac{2}{3}}})+C_2\text{Bi}(\frac{cx-k^2}{c^{\frac{2}{3}}})[/itex] because x is always > 0, Bi goes to ∞ so C_2 have to be 0. And final solution is [itex]\psi(x)=C_1\text{Ai}((\frac{2m}{\hbar^2})^{\frac{1}{3}}(x-E))[/itex]. I've determined the energy from conditions [itex]\psi^{(1)}_n=\psi^{(2)}_n[/itex] and [itex]\psi'^{(1)}_n=\psi'^{(2)}_n[/itex]. And energies are: for even [itex]E_n=-a'_{n+1}[/itex] and for the odd [itex]E_n=-a_{n+1}[/itex]. Normalization is a bit tricky [itex]C_1^2\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \text{Ai}^2(x-E_n)dx=1[/itex], I don't know how to solve this integral.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  17. Feb 16, 2012 #16

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your solutions don't work out unit-wise. For example, you can't subtract E from x. They don't have the same units.

18. Feb 16, 2012 #17
    Yes they do, potential at x have the same value as the x coordinate, V(x)=|x|, unit of that x is the same as the unit of E.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook