1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle sliding on a track (cons. of energy problem)

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    A particle can slide along a track with elevated ends and a flat central part, as shown in Figure 8-53. The flat part has length L = 40 cm. The curved portions of the track are frictionless, but for the flat part the coefficient of kinetic friction is µk = 0.32. The particle is released from rest at point A, which is a height h = L/2. How far from the left edge of the flat does the particle finally stop?

[​IMG]

I set this equation:

mgh = μmgd

d = h/μ

d = 20/.32

d = 62.5 cm

Because the answer > L, I subtracted 40 cm from it and got 22.5 cm as the answer (I'm supposed to give it in cm). But it won't accept my answer. What did I do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2
    You did all the math right to determine distance - the particle will move 62.5 cm on the flat surface before coming to a stop. Now think about the direction it is traveling and where that is in relation to the left edge of the flat surface.

4. Oct 15, 2008 #3
    Oh, I see.

Thanks a lot for saving me from losing a point. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?