Particle Velocity and Distance in a Straight Line with -2v Acceleration

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
AcecA
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A particle is moving along a straight line such that its acceleration is defined as a = (-2v) m/s^2, where v is in meters per second. If v = 20 m/s when s = 0 and t = 0, determine the particle's velocity as a function of position, and the distance the particle moves before it stops.


Homework Equations


Basic kinematics equations


The Attempt at a Solution


I tried using dt = dv/a and integrating that, and I got t = (ln20 - lnv)/2, then I tried substituting it into s = s0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2, and now I'm stuck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact that

[tex]a= \frac{dv}{dt}=v \frac{dv}{ds}[/tex]

this will help you get velocity in terms of displacement.