Particles in an ideal monatomic gas

In summary, the average energy Eav for particles in an ideal monatomic gas can be represented by the equation Eav=\int_{0}^{\infty }Ep(E)dE=3/2kT, where the probability distribution p(E) is given by p(E)dE=2/\sqrt{\pi}(kT)^{3/2}\times e^{-E/} dE. To solve this, we can use the gamma function or make a substitution u=p^2 and integrate by parts.
Jason Gomez
Prove that for particles in an ideal monatomic gas the average energy Eav can be given by:

[tex]Eav=\int_{0}^{\infty }Ep(E)dE=3/2kT[/tex]

where the probablity distribution p(E) is given by:
[tex]p(E)dE=2/\sqrt{\pi}(kT)^{3/2}\times e^{-E/} dE[/tex]

Homework Equations

Let [tex]E/kT[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

after working this problem over and over, this is as far as I can get

[tex]2\pi^{-1/2}\int_{0}^{\infty}u^{3/2}e^{-u}de=2\pi^{-1/2}\left ( 2/5u^{5/2}e^{-u}-ue^{-u}u^{3/2} \right )[/tex]

i have tried pulling variables out but get no where, I feel it is right up to this point but do not know where to go from here except factor out common variables, but once again I get know where

Physics news on Phys.org
Or making substitution
[tex]
u=p^2
[/tex]
[tex]
du=2pdp
[/tex]
we get
[tex]
\int p^3 e^{-p^2} 2pdp
[/tex]
and integrating by parts.

Thank you I think I see a similarity between that and the problem I am working but I am on my phone looking at it, I will let you know how it goes when I get home

.Dear student,

Thank you for your efforts in attempting to solve this problem. I can see that you have made some progress, but there are a few errors in your solution.

Firstly, the expression for the probability distribution p(E) that you have written is incorrect. It should be:

p(E)dE=2\sqrt{\frac{E}{\pi(kT)^3}}e^{-\frac{E}{kT}}dE

Note that the exponent should be -E/kT, not -E/.

Next, when you substitute E/kT=u, you need to also change the limits of integration accordingly. The new limits should be from 0 to \infty, not from 0 to \infty.

Finally, when you substitute u=E/kT into the integral, you need to also change the differential from dE to (kT)du.

With these changes, your integral should look like this:

Eav=\int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{E}{kT}\times2\sqrt{\frac{E}{\pi(kT)^3}}e^{-\frac{E}{kT}}(kT)du

Simplifying this expression will give you the desired result:

Eav=\frac{3}{2}kT

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

1. What is an ideal monatomic gas?

An ideal monatomic gas is a theoretical model of a gas that consists of point-like particles with no internal structure, meaning they do not have any rotational or vibrational energy. This model assumes that the particles do not interact with each other and that their only form of energy is their translational kinetic energy.

2. What are the properties of particles in an ideal monatomic gas?

The particles in an ideal monatomic gas have the following properties: they are point-like, have no internal structure, do not interact with each other, and only have translational kinetic energy. They also have a mass, velocity, and temperature.

3. How do you calculate the pressure of an ideal monatomic gas?

The pressure of an ideal monatomic gas can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to the number of particles, temperature, and volume of the gas. The equation is written as P = nRT/V, where P is pressure, n is the number of particles, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and V is the volume of the gas.

4. What is the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy in an ideal monatomic gas?

In an ideal monatomic gas, temperature and kinetic energy are directly proportional. This means that as the temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of the gas particles also increases. This relationship is described by the kinetic theory of gases.

5. How does the volume of an ideal monatomic gas change with temperature and pressure?

According to the ideal gas law, the volume of an ideal monatomic gas is inversely proportional to both temperature and pressure. This means that as temperature or pressure increases, the volume of the gas decreases. This is because an increase in temperature or pressure causes the gas particles to move faster and take up less space.