1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle's spin when subject to a constant magnetic field

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An alkali atom, on it's fundamental state, passes through a Stern-Gerlach apparatum, which will only transmit atoms with their spins aligned along the +z direction. After that the atoms travel, during a finite time τ, through a region of constant magnetic field [itex]\vec{B}=B\vec{e_{x}}[/itex].

After that time τ the atoms pass through a new Stern-Gerlach apparatum, which only allows atoms with spin along -z to pass. What's the probability that they will pass?

2. Relevant equations

Pauli matrices
    [itex]\widehat{H}=-\vec{u_{B}}.\widehat{S}[/itex]
    [itex]u_{B}=\frac{q}{2m_{e}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

From the problem it's easy to see that the state of the system at the instant t=0 is:

[itex]|\psi>(t=0)=|+>_{z}[/itex]

Then I assumed that, while being under the influence of the constant magnetic field along the x direction, the state is:

[itex]|\psi>=\alpha (t)|+>_{z} + \beta (t) |->_{z}[/itex]

Next I applied the hamiltonian to my state [itex]|\psi>[/itex]. Since [itex]\vec{B} = B\vec{e_{x}}[/itex]:

[itex]\widehat{H}|\psi>=-\frac{qB}{2m}\widehat{S_{x}}|\psi>[/itex]
    [itex]\widehat{H}|\psi>=-\frac{qB}{2m}\widehat{S_{x}}(\alpha (t)|+>_{z}+\beta (t) |->_{z})[/itex]

Since [itex]\widehat{S_{x}}=\hbar \sigma _{x}[/itex], applying it to [itex]|\psi>[/itex] returns:
    [itex]\widehat{H}|\psi>=-\frac{qB\hbar}{4m}(\beta (t)|+>_{z}+\alpha (t) |->_{z})[/itex]

Defining [itex]\omega=\frac{qB}{4m}[/itex]:

[itex]\widehat{H}|\psi>=-w\hbar(\beta (t)|+>_{z}+\alpha (t) |->_{z})[/itex]

Now, using Schrodinger's equation we get:

[itex]\widehat{H}|\psi>=i\hbar \frac{d}{dt}|\psi>[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{d}{dt}(\alpha (t)|+>_{z} + \beta (t) |->_{z}) = iw(\beta (t)|+>_{z}+\alpha (t) |->_{z})[/itex]

Separating this we get:

[itex]\frac{d}{dt}\alpha (t) = iw\beta (t)[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{d}{dt}\beta (t) = iw\alpha (t)[/itex]

Applying another derivative to the first differential equation we get:
    [itex]\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\alpha (t) = iw\frac{d}{dt}\beta (t)[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\alpha (t) = -w^{2}\alpha[/itex]

Doing the same to the second achieves a similar result:

[itex]\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\beta (t) = -w^{2}\beta[/itex]

Solving both I got:

[itex]\alpha (t) = Ae^{iwt} + Be^{-iwt}[/itex]
    [itex]\alpha (t) = Ce^{iwt} + De^{-iwt}[/itex]

Now, since I know that [itex]|\psi>(t=0) = |+>_{z}[/itex], I know that:
    [itex]A+B=1[/itex]
    [itex]C = -D[/itex]

From this I can conclude that:
    [itex]\beta (t) = Fsin(wt)[/itex]

This is as far as I can get.. I don't know what to do from here. Am I approaching the problem wrongly? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Daniel

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, Daniel.

First, there appears to be a problem with a factor of 2 in your expression
    I don't believe the 4 in the denominator is correct. Did you include the "g-factor" of the electron? Anyway, you might see if you can track down the error. (Hope I'm not the one in error, I always get a headache with the factors of 2 in this type of problem!)

Later, you have

In the second equation I think you meant to type [itex]\beta (t)[/itex] instead of [itex]\alpha (t)[/itex].

This looks good (but your ##\omega## will need to be corrected for the factor of 2 problem mentioned above).

But note, C and D are not independent of A and B. Remember you have

So, you can determine [itex]\beta (t)[/itex] from [itex]\alpha (t)[/itex].

You should be able to find A and B from the initial conditions and from the fact that you want your state to be normalized.

4. Feb 2, 2014 #3
    I forgot that I was only interested in the [itex]|->_{z}[/itex] component.
    Regarding the factor of 2, I'll correct it. However my major issue has been resolved, so thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted