Particular integral of sin(ax+b)

• Thread starter iVenky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the particular integral of sin(ax+b) is given by x \frac{1}{f'(-a^{2})} sin(ax+b) when f(-a2) is not equal to 0. However, for eax, the anti-derivative is -(1/a) cos(ax+ b)+ C, where C is a constant. The differential equation for f(D) is given by (D^{n}+k_{1}D^{n-1}+k_{2}D^{n-2}+...+k_{n-1}D+k_{n})y=X or f(D)y=X.
iVenky
I can prove that the particular integral of sin(ax+b) is given by

[itex]\frac{1}{f(-a^{2})} sin(ax+b)[/itex]

That's not an issue but what happens if f(-a2) is 0 ?

I see that it is given by

[itex] x \frac{1}{f'(-a^{2})} sin(ax+b)[/itex]

but I can't prove this though I know to prove this for eaxThanks a lot :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you are saying. The general anti-derivative of sin(ax+ b) is -(1/a) cos(ax+ b)+ C for any constant C. Yes, you can take C= 0 but where did "f" come from?

[itex]
f(D)=(D^{n}+k_{1}D^{n-1}+k_{2}D^{n-2}+...+k_{n-1}D+k_{n})[/itex]

and I mean the differential equation is given by

[itex]
(D^{n}+k_{1}D^{n-1}+k_{2}D^{n-2}+...+k_{n-1}D+k_{n})y=X
\\
or \\f(D)y=X

[/itex]

Thanks a lot :)

What is the particular integral of sin(ax+b)?

The particular integral of sin(ax+b) is a solution to a differential equation of the form y''+a^2y = f(x), where f(x) is a sinusoidal function with a frequency of a and a phase shift of b. It is unique and can be found using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters.

Why is the particular integral of sin(ax+b) important?

The particular integral of sin(ax+b) is important because it allows us to find a specific solution to a differential equation without having to solve the entire general solution. It is also useful in applications involving harmonic motion and vibration analysis.

How do you find the particular integral of sin(ax+b)?

The particular integral of sin(ax+b) can be found using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. In the method of undetermined coefficients, we assume a particular solution in the form of Asin(ax)+Bcos(ax) and solve for the coefficients A and B. In variation of parameters, we use a variation of the general solution to find a particular solution.

What is the difference between the complementary solution and the particular integral of sin(ax+b)?

The complementary solution is the general solution to a differential equation, while the particular integral is a specific solution. The complementary solution includes all possible solutions to the equation, while the particular integral is only one specific solution. The complementary solution is also independent of initial conditions, while the particular integral depends on the specific initial conditions of the problem.

Can the particular integral of sin(ax+b) be used to solve any type of differential equation?

No, the particular integral of sin(ax+b) can only be used to solve differential equations of the form y''+a^2y = f(x), where f(x) is a sinusoidal function with a frequency of a and a phase shift of b. It cannot be used to solve other types of differential equations, such as those with exponential or polynomial functions.