Partition coefficient of chlorpromazine in DMSO & pentane

In summary, CPZ is soluble in DMSO but partition coefficients of chlorpromazine in pentane vary. You can use UV-vis to determine the concentration of CPZ in pentane. The partition coefficient of chlorpromazine in pentane is defined as the difference in concentration between CPZ in DMSO in system A and the amount of CPZ that has diffused to pentane.
Schwarzschild90
Determine the partition coefficient of chlorpromazine in DMSO and n-pentane

I'm a physics student and doing a course in biophysics. I would really appreciate it, if you would take some time and provide some hints as to how to design a more concrete plan. Especialy, how do I find out the partition coefficient from system A and B?

Solubility of CPZ in DMSO: 71 mg/mL
Molecular weight of CPZ: 355,33 g/mol

Dissolve 17,7665 mg CPZ in 50 mL DMSO to obtain a 1 mM solution.

Prepare a series of samples of pentane with the following volumes (1 ml, 5 ml, 10 ml, 20 ml, 40 ml) and bring 10 ml of the CPZ+DMSO solution into contact with it.

Shake the solutions to ensure fast equilibration and then centrifuge to separate the two phases.

Use UV-vis to measure the absorbance of chlorpromazine in DMSO and use the absorbance to determine the final concentration of CPZ in pentane. Measure the absorbance between ~200-380 nm.

Use LB to determine the concentrations of each solvent to determine.

The partition coefficient of system B is defined as the difference in concentration between CPZ in DMSO in system A and the amount of CPZ that has diffused to pentane.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is the exact definition of the partition coefficient?

Likes Schwarzschild90
Great, you know how to copy and paste. Do you also know hot to apply the definition here? What you need to know to calculate the partition coefficient?

Likes Schwarzschild90
P = A1/A2 = C1/C2, from LBs law

I take a different approach: I calculate the PC by measuring UV-vis absorbance in the DMSO phase in each of the systems B

So, to calculate partition coefficient you need to know concentrations. You measure absorbance. Can you use the absorbance to find the concentration?

Likes Schwarzschild90
Yes and using Lambert-Beer's law

So where is the problem?

Likes Schwarzschild90
I prepare a series of samples of pentane with the following volumes (1 ml, 5 ml, 10 ml, 20 ml, 40 ml) and bring 10 ml of the CPZ+DMSO solution into contact with it. Centrifuge.

Now, I transfer the solution to a skillet and let the phases separate, then I take a 1 ml sample of DMSO. Equilibrate.

I use UV-vis on the DMSO phase to determine the amount of CPZ that diffused to the pentane phase.

How does the partition coefficient formula then look?

[itex]P = \frac{C_0}{(C_0-C_1)}[/itex]
[itex]C_0[/itex] = initial concentration of CPZ in DMSO
[itex]C_1[/itex] = concentration of CPZ in DMSO determined by UV-vis

Partition coefficient formula always look the same. The only thing that changes is how you calculate concentrations to plug into the formula.

You are close, but it is not exactly right. Sum of concentrations is not constant. However, total amount of CPZ is constant.

Likes Schwarzschild90
So, I must use the volume of the pentane phase in calculating concentrations?

Yes.

Likes Schwarzschild90
The concentration of the pentane phase is then
[itex](m_{DMSO}-m_{pentane})/v_{pentane}[/itex]

Not sure what you mean by mDMSO.

Likes Schwarzschild90
Initial mass of CPZ (it should read this)

Doesn't make it good.

Try you express the total number of moles of CPZ at equilibrium using concentrations and volumes of both phases.

Likes Schwarzschild90
DMSO phase: 0,2 mM, 3,5533 mg, 10 ml DMSO.
n = M*V -> 3,5533 mg * 10 ml = 35,533 moles

I don't know how well CPZ partitions into the pentane phase. I wish to use UV-vis to determine this

Schwarzschild90 said:
n = M*V

Can't you do the same for both phases?

Schwarzschild90 said:
I don't know how well CPZ partitions into the pentane phase. I wish to use UV-vis to determine this

I am not convinced that's what you are told to do - the original post seems to be contradicting. It speaks about using absorbance, but it also mentions "finding the difference", which seems to be suggesting you should measure the absorbance of DMSO solution only. Knowing total amount of CPZ and volumes of both phases, it is enough to measure the concentration in one phase (at least as long as the partition coefficient is such that the concentrations are comparable and don't differ by orders of magnitude).

Likes Schwarzschild90
Sample #1: 0,2 mM, 3,5533 mg, 10 ml DMSO. n = M*V -> 3,5533 mg * 10 ml = 35,533 moles
1 ml pentane
#2: 0,2 mM, 3,5533 mg, 10 ml DMSO. n = M*V -> 3,5533 mg * 10 ml = 35,533 moles
5 ml pentane
#3: 0,2 mM, 3,5533 mg, 10 ml DMSO. n = M*V -> 3,5533 mg * 10 ml = 35,533 moles
10 ml pentane
#4: 0,2 mM, 3,5533 mg, 10 ml DMSO. n = M*V -> 3,5533 mg * 10 ml = 35,533 moles
20 ml pentane
#5: 0,2 mM, 3,5533 mg, 10 ml DMSO. n = M*V -> 3,5533 mg * 10 ml = 35,533 moles
40 ml pentane

Do the same for both phases? For the pentane phase I would get the amount of CPZ that diffusions into the pentane phase

What you have calculated is the initial - total - amount of CPZ, identical in each case. Good.

After you measure the concentration of CPZ left in DMOS, you can calculate how much CPZ is left in DMSO phase. Whatever disappeared moved to the pentane phase.

And I measure the concentration of CPZ left in DMSO using UV-vis absorbance, then getting the concentration from absorbance, right?

Yes.

How will the formula look? Using
1. 0,2 mM, mg, 10 ml DMSO

n = M*V -> 3,5533 mg * 10 ml = 35,533 moles

1 ml pentane

I told you several posts ago - try you express the total number of moles of CPZ at equilibrium using concentrations and volumes of both phases. For each sample you know total number of moles, you know VDMSO and Vpentane, you will measure CDMSO, the only unknown will be Cpentane.

Okay. Thank you.

I have the following samples prepared
10 ml DMSO+CPZ dissolved in 1 ml pentane
10 ml DMSO+CPZ dissolved in 5 ml pentane
10 ml DMSO+CPZ dissolved in 10 ml pentane
10 ml DMSO+CPZ dissolved in 20 ml pentane

The phases are seperated.

I also have the following prepared
2,7 mg DMSO+Methylene blue dissolved in 2 ml pentane
2,5 mg DMSO+Methylene blue dissolved in 2 ml pentane
2,1 mg DMSO+Methylene blue dissolved in 2 ml pentane
1,7 mg DMSO+Methylene blue dissolved in 2 ml pentane
0,3 mg DMSO+Methylene blue dissolved in 2 ml pentane

For this part I found out, that the fine pipette that I used, was less than accurate. I wanted to measure out 2 ml, but instead got the values 2.7, 2.5, 2.1, 1.7 and 0.3. I want to "fix" this, by mixing all the samples together, creating a ~roughly 10 mg DMSO + 10 ml pentane solution. I will then shake it. Then take ten 1 ml samples, which I will dilute by adding 5, 10, 20, 30, 50 mls of pentane, each.

Will you recommened a method for me to do spectroscopy without disrupting the phases?

Last edited:

1. What is the partition coefficient of chlorpromazine in DMSO and pentane?

The partition coefficient of chlorpromazine in DMSO and pentane is a measure of the distribution of the drug between these two solvents. It is a ratio of the concentration of the drug in DMSO to the concentration in pentane at equilibrium.

2. How is the partition coefficient of chlorpromazine in DMSO and pentane determined?

The partition coefficient is determined by conducting an experiment in which a known amount of chlorpromazine is added to a mixture of DMSO and pentane. The mixture is then allowed to reach equilibrium, and the concentrations of the drug in each solvent are measured. The partition coefficient is then calculated using these concentrations.

3. What factors can affect the partition coefficient of chlorpromazine in DMSO and pentane?

There are several factors that can affect the partition coefficient of chlorpromazine in DMSO and pentane. These include temperature, pH, and the presence of other solutes in the solvents. The chemical properties of the solvents themselves can also influence the partition coefficient.

4. Why is the partition coefficient of chlorpromazine in DMSO and pentane important?

The partition coefficient is an important measure in drug development and pharmaceutical research. It can provide insight into the solubility and distribution of a drug in different solvents, which can impact its effectiveness and potential side effects in the body.

5. What is the significance of a high or low partition coefficient for chlorpromazine in DMSO and pentane?

A high partition coefficient indicates that chlorpromazine is more soluble in DMSO than in pentane, while a low partition coefficient suggests the opposite. This information can be useful in determining the most suitable solvent for dissolving the drug in different applications. Additionally, a high partition coefficient can also indicate a higher potential for the drug to have a stronger effect in the body, while a low partition coefficient may suggest a lower potency.