Pascal grade 9 math contest question(can you ratio speed and time)

In summary: Thank you for your help!In summary, the conversation discusses a math question about finding the speed at which Cindy must cycle to arrive home at 5:00 in the afternoon. The conversation includes attempts at solving the question and the correct method to solve it, which involves setting up two equations for time and distance and then using them to find the speed.
kevinshen18
I was given this question from the Pascal Math contest 2001:

Cindy leaves school at the same time every day. If she cycles at 20 km/h, she arrives home at 4:30 in the afternoon. If she cycles at 10 km/h, she arrives home at 5:15 in the afternoon. At what speed, in km/h, must she cycle to arrive home at 5:00 in the afternoon?

This was how I attempted to solve it:

A difference in 10km/h (20km/h - 10km/h) results in her being 45 minutes late(5:15 - 4:30).
So I ratio it:
[tex] \frac{10km/h}{45min} = \frac{Xkm/h}{30min} [/tex]

If a difference of 10km/h results in a 45 minutes delay then what's the speed difference(X) that results in a 30 minutes delay(5:00 - 4:30).

I cross multiplied and got x = 6.6666...km/h.
Subtracting that from 20km/h my answer was 13.3333...km/h

The correct answer was 12 km/h.

Now I have no idea how I got it wrong but I would assume that the mistake was the speed to time ratio. Is it correct to do that? Can you even ratio speed and time or is that incorrect and not allowed? If it's not possible then why?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the total time it took her to get home, not just the additional time after the 20km/h trip.

Edit: Here are some additional hints of how to set it up correctly.
Distance = velocity x time.
In this case, because Distance1 = Distance2 = Distance3 = Distance,
Distance = Velocity1*Time1 = Velocity2*Time2 = Velocity3*Time3
Time1: Unknown
Time2: Time1 + 45 minutes
Time3: Time1 + 30 minutes.

You'll have to evaluate Time1 before you can solve this.

Last edited:
I see. Thank you!
So if total time was given that I could ratio?

kevinshen18 said:
I was given this question from the Pascal Math contest 2001:

Cindy leaves school at the same time every day. If she cycles at 20 km/h, she arrives home at 4:30 in the afternoon. If she cycles at 10 km/h, she arrives home at 5:15 in the afternoon. At what speed, in km/h, must she cycle to arrive home at 5:00 in the afternoon?

This was how I attempted to solve it:

A difference in 10km/h (20km/h - 10km/h) results in her being 45 minutes late(5:15 - 4:30).
So I ratio it:
[tex] \frac{10km/h}{45min} = \frac{Xkm/h}{30min} [/tex]

If a difference of 10km/h results in a 45 minutes delay then what's the speed difference(X) that results in a 30 minutes delay(5:00 - 4:30).

I cross multiplied and got x = 6.6666...km/h.
Subtracting that from 20km/h my answer was 13.3333...km/h

The correct answer was 12 km/h.

Now I have no idea how I got it wrong but I would assume that the mistake was the speed to time ratio. Is it correct to do that? Can you even ratio speed and time or is that incorrect and not allowed? If it's not possible then why?

Set up two equations for T = starting time (hrs) and X = distance traveled (km). Remember,
time traveled = distance/speed, so
(1) 4.5 - T = X/20
(2) 5.25 - T = X/10
Solve these two equations to get T and X.

Now you need to find v that gives 5-T = X/v, where T and X are known at this point.

Likes 1 person
kevinshen18 said:
I see. Thank you!
So if total time was given that I could ratio?

Sort of. Your ratio would be Velocity1/Time2 = Velocity2/Time1, but it's easier to leave it as Velocity1*Time1 = Velocity2*Time2.

Likes 1 person
jz92wjaz said:
Sort of. Your ratio would be Velocity1/Time2 = Velocity2/Time1, but it's easier to leave it as Velocity1*Time1 = Velocity2*Time2.

Yea I agree, I'll just solve it with your method then.

1. How do you use ratios to solve speed and time problems?

To use ratios to solve speed and time problems, you need to first understand the relationship between distance, speed, and time. The formula for this relationship is distance = speed x time. You can then use ratios to compare different values and solve for missing variables. For example, if you know the distance and speed, you can use the ratio d/s = t to find the time it took to travel that distance.

2. What is the unit for speed in ratio problems?

The unit for speed in ratio problems is usually distance per unit of time, such as miles per hour or kilometers per hour. This unit represents how much distance can be covered in one unit of time.

3. Can ratios be used to solve problems involving changing speed?

Yes, ratios can be used to solve problems involving changing speed. In these types of problems, you will typically have to use multiple ratios and equations to account for the different speeds and times involved. Make sure to carefully read the problem and label your variables correctly.

4. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the overall speed of an object over a certain distance or time, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time. Average speed can be calculated using the ratio of total distance to total time, while instantaneous speed can be calculated using the derivative of the distance-time function.

5. Can ratios be used to solve problems involving multiple objects with different speeds and distances?

Yes, ratios can be used to solve problems involving multiple objects with different speeds and distances. In these types of problems, you will need to use different ratios for each object and set them equal to each other to solve for the unknown variables. It may also be helpful to create a table or chart to organize the information and easily compare the different ratios.